Just starting out (Si5351 addition)

Gary Winblad

Hi Richard,

Yes, I have included an Etherkit Si5351 board into my PHSNA.
Photo attached (I hope).  Yours might be rat's nest but mine re-defines the term ;-)

My Arduino code started with Nick's Windows controlled version.  This allowed plenty of code
space to add my "local mode".  I added an LCD display and rotary encoder and their code to
be able to use the PHSNA as a stand alone RF sweep generator.  Throwing in the code for the
Si5351 also fit.  I use a DDS-60 board for the original RF source and switch select the power
to it or the Si5351 board.  Now I can sweep to 160MHz, though I haven't used it to do anything
yet.  The square wave harmonics might give trouble in some cases..

I still have lots of memory left in the Arduino so I have also added code for an antenna analyzer
like the MFJ-259.  Code is all done, PCB designed but not built yet.  It will be an external module
like the RLB.

This PHSNA is fantastic, thanks to everyone who helped put this project together!

73,
Gary
WB6OGD

Richard Wilson

My PHSNA is pretty simple compared to yours. Still a rat nest.

I downloaded your code and will lash together the necessary hardware to run it.

Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know when I get your code running.

Richard

Gary Winblad

Richard,
You got my old version.  I just posted a new sub-folder with the latest version that supports
the Si5351.  It uses a Si5351 library but since I hate Arduino libraries, I put the code inside
my main sketch.  It does need the Si5351.h file which I also posted.
My first modified PHSNA was cleanly done, the additions and changes were all (I think) noted
in comments.  Since nobody ever told me they used it, I got much sloppier in my coding in this
new version.
Let me know if you have any questions,
Good luck,
73,
Gary
WB6OGD

Charudatt Uplap

Hello Gary,

I am interested in building the Si5351 based PHSNA and would like more details. Looking at your folder I find only the .ino and .h files required for the project. What about the Schematic. I assume it(Si5351) latches on to the I2C bus.

Does this mean that the Buffer amp and all the other circuitry remains the same.

Thank you for your contribution.

regards

charudatt – vu2upx

You got my old version.  I just posted a new sub-folder with the latest version that supports
the Si5351.  It uses a Si5351 library but since I hate Arduino libraries, I put the code inside
my main sketch.  It does need the Si5351.h file which I also posted.
My first modified PHSNA was cleanly done, the additions and changes were all (I think) noted
in comments.  Since nobody ever told me they used it, I got much sloppier in my coding in this
new version.
Let me know if you have any questions,
Good luck,
73,
Gary
WB6OGD

Gary Winblad

Hi Charudatt,

This PHSNA group here only supports using a DDS (9850/51) signal source.

The Si5351 addition is my own (in addition to an LCD and encoder).

The Si5351 does run from the I2C bus on Arduino pins A4 and A5.
I don't have a schematic but there is a:

enum PinAssignments {

statement about 2/3 of the way through the .ino file.  Also see the ReadMe
file in my main folder in the files section.

The Si5351 puts out a pretty big signal (square wave) so there is no buffer
amp needed.  Using a DDS with sinewave output is probably better for most
SNA use.

73,
Gary
WB6OGD

Charudatt Uplap

Thank you Gary,

I'll also try it (Si5351) and off course the AD9850 first.

regards
charudatt - vu2upx