Topics

Header pins for Type II PHSNA to Arduino Uno

Steven Dick

Hi all. I assembled my Type 2 PHSNA board except for the header pins used to connect the PHSNA board to the Arduino Uno. Is there a recommended header pin type for these?  If too small, the USB connector will hit the PHSNA board. Not sure if the P/N 538-90120-0800 40 pin breakaway strip called out for P101 and P102 can also be used for the pins which the Arduino Uno plug on to. The BOM does not specifically call these out for use with the Arduino as well as the P101 and P102 plugs.

Thanks, "Digital Steve", K1RF

N5IB

That garden-variety breakaway male pin-header strip can be used for the UNO.
Take a look at the Builder Alert   (Builder Alert rev17DEC13.pdf)   in the Files section. It specifically pertains to issues with the early Type I PHSNA boards, but has a section at the end about mounting the headers for the UNO so as to not have a problem with the USB connector shell. You need to stand them up just a smidgen.

Jim, N5IB

---In PHSNA@..., <sbdick@...> wrote :

Hi all. I assembled my Type 2 PHSNA board except for the header pins used to connect the PHSNA board to the Arduino Uno. Is there a recommended header pin type for these?  If too small, the USB connector will hit the PHSNA board. Not sure if the P/N 538-90120-0800 40 pin breakaway strip called out for P101 and P102 can also be used for the pins which the Arduino Uno plug on to. The BOM does not specifically call these out for use with the Arduino as well as the P101 and P102 plugs.

Thanks, "Digital Steve", K1RF

Steven Dick

Thanks Jim. A few  more comments on  the build of my Type II PHSNA using a Type II Ad9851 module.

1. I found that the inductors for the LPF required fewer turns than specified.  I ended up with 5 turns about 2/3 around the core instead of the specified 7 turns for L1 and L3 (.13uH) and 7 turns about 2/3 around the core instead of the specified 9 turns. I measured then on two different LC analalyzers as well as an antenna analyzer with inductance measurement capability.  The specified number of turns is theoretically correct but I found the inductances quite a bit too large when actually measured.

2. I ordered all parts from the BOM instead of first reading the file "PHSNA Type II details 21 Mar 2014.  The schematic has notes on it with regard to power options, and turrns out I didn't need some of the parts.  Might be a good idea to add notes in the BOM to refer to schematic for the parts needed for various power options.

3. I am starting off with baseline software (which compiled fine for me on my windows 7 machine using Arduino 1.67 and following the directions, but I have to admit it took a bit of time understanding the various software packages in the Files section.  Perhaps a FAQ is needed on the various software packages available.  My goal is to have a 2 row LCD display in my power meter along with an analog meter and have the "hotrod" version of the software in the PHSNA. Or combine some of the features of various packages so the "hotrod" version could also be able to display power since it has access to the analog output of the power meter anyway.

Thanks again
"Digital Steve", K1RF

sa5pmg@...

Steve,

I also ended up with fewer turns like you, 5 and 7. I used T37-6 cores since I don't have -10 cores.I swept the filter at work and that showed insertion loss of 2.4-2.5 dB. Maybe its my homemade SMD to hole mount capacitors that does this or is it the -6 cores? The SMD capacitors are 30pF NP0 in 0805 in parallel.

Or maybe I can just reduce the attenuation accordingly after the filter and before the ERA-3 amplifier?

Br
Marcus, SA5PMG

vasilyivanenko@...

Good photos and trace Marcus.  My bet -- it's the caps.  My filter exhibited ~ 0.12 dB loss at 30 MHz.
Best!
T/V

sa5pmg@...

Thanks, the photos are just snapped with my cell phone and then scaled down and cropped.

Could it be the fact I have the attenuation resistors before the filter input mounted?
To rule them out I could solder a SMA connector on the RF in pins and do a sweep between that and the filter input (i.e. sweep the attenuation resistors) and use that as a thru calibration and then do a new sweep from RF in to filter output, right?

Br
Marcus, SA5PMG

sa5pmg@...

I can now confirm that the attenuation resistors affects the measurements and one cannot measure like I said in my previous message. The filter affects the measurements if trying to just measure the attenuation resistors.

So I calibrated the VNA with ordinary thru connection and then got passband attenuation between 6.2-6.5dB for the filter. And based on my limited experience with resistor based attenuators they attenuate 0.2dB more on 50-60MHz than on 20-30MHz so that would give that my filter have an insertion loss of 0.2-0.3dB and my capacitors are probably ok. And I guess that is good enough for building a PHSNA, right?

vasilyivanenko@...

Hi Marcus -- that's an acceptable FL insertion loss. Good problem solving
Best!  T / V