Topics

Header Pins for Experimenter Board

Lee Hiers

Hi All,

I'm trying to put together one of the experimenter boards per the
documentation and have a question about the female pins to use for the
Nano - what do I use?

I had some machined-pin 8-pin DIP sockets that I removed the pins
from, but they're too tight. So, I ordered some SAM1119-15-ND from
Digikey, and those pins are also too tight. I think they're for .020
pins, but I need them for .025 pins - is that correct?

I've tried the male header pins that came with my Nano, as well as
some male pins that I already had on hand....both were too tight to
fit into the female pins.

I'm getting pretty close to just soldering in the Nano and going with
that...but with my luck, I'll fry the Nano and then much cursing will
ensue...I'm pretty certain I've got some female headers that will work
for my AD9850 boards though.

Any ideas? Parts numbers and suppliers if possible.

73 de Lee
--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
www.aa4ga.com

Submit your QRP DXCC totals to www.qrpdx.com!

DuWayne Schmidlkofer

For most of the projects I build using a Nano, I use 40 pin low profile IC sockets cut down to 30 pins. Then I install the header pins on the nano with the longest pin side down through the top. This gives the correct pin length for use with the IC socket.

Round header strips are available on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-Gold-Plated-2-54mm-Male-40-Pin-Single-Row-Straight-Round-Pin-Header-Strip-/170842982053?hash=item27c70906a5:g:~IwAAOSw-vlVkQOq
DuWayne
KV4QB

On 12/30/2015 10:49 PM, Lee Hiers lee.hiers@... [PHSNA] wrote:
[...]

Mark Dunning

Les

I have had the same issue with IC sockets as you have.

A local (VK6) supplier has low profile (5mm) header sockets that worked for me.

 Search Results - Altronics

They do email orders.

73's Mark VK6WV

km5ht@...

Lee;
   If you don't mind waiting and want to use the pins that come with the Arduino, you can order some like these.  I cut them to length using a sharp knife sacrificing a pin.  They can take up to a month to get though.  I keep some in the parts cabinet.

10pcs Single Row 40P 40 Pin 2.54mm Female Header Connector Socket For Arduino TW

73 Steve, KM5HT

N5IB

Hi Lee,

The 0.025" square posts won't fit in the female machined-pin sockets.
I make sure that the NANOs I buy come with the male header strips not yet installed.
Then I use the round, machined-pin male pin headers that fit them.

The most recent I've purchased was eBay item #
170842982053
10 strips of 40 for $5.00

Notice that the opposite ends of the pins are NOT the same.
The shorter, fatter end gets soldered into the NANO.

The female socket strips were item # 280612178980
10 strips of 40 for less than $5

Jim, N5IB

---In PHSNA@..., <lee.hiers@...> wrote :
[...]

Gary Winblad

Arduinos are cheap enough now <$2 that I just use a new one for new projects and solder
directly to its pins... most projects don't involve that many pins anyway..

73,
Gary
WB6OGD

Alan Jones <alwanbi@...>

Jim,

Thanks for uploading your excellent documentation to the W5JH Return Loss Bridge!

Do you have any new projects on the horizon?

Al, N8WQ

N5IB

Hi Al,

Nigel, one of the fellows in VE-land, spotted the errors that had been lurking there for nearly two years.
Fortunately, since all the resistors were the same, and the transformer was symmetrical, it didn't matter electrically at all, but was a source of some head scratching, no doubt. So now at least the schematic and the PCB agree - hi

As for new projects - nothing cooking right now - still recovering from the holidays...

Jim, N5IB

---In PHSNA@..., <alwanbi@...> wrote :

Jim,

Thanks for uploading your excellent documentation to the W5JH Return Loss Bridge!

Do you have any new projects on the horizon?

Al, N8WQ

Vern VanZ <n7gtb@...>

Hi Jim,

My apologies in advance if this is a 'dumb question', but I'm new to this group... Looking at the .pdf file in the files section, sort of suggests that the return loss bridge (and perhaps the experimenter board as well ?) are/were sold as kits(?)...  If so, where might one purchase these?  I'm about to wrap up the construction of a 'Midnight SNA' from Midnight Design Solutions, and would prefer a bridge on a nice pcb and mounted in a sturdy metal box.

Thanks, 73.
-Vern

---In PHSNA@..., wrote :
Jim,
Thanks for uploading your excellent documentation to the W5JH Return Loss Bridge!
Do you have any new projects on the horizon?
Al, N8WQ

N5IB

Hi Vern,

Yes, I did kit a few dozen return loss bridges a couple of years ago, but haven't done any more kits since then.
I have offered the PC boards from time to time when I could tack them onto some other larger board order.

All out of the PC boards right now, though.

You could easily make one using point-to-point wiring. An excellent cast aluminum box is the one from Marlin P Jones that I used in the kits. It's still available at
http://www.mpja.com/350in-X-137in-X-118in-Die-Cast-Aluminum-Box/productinfo/16283%20BX/

I just modified the documentation in the Files area to include a black on white pattern that could be used with the toner transfer method to make a PCB. It's on the very last page of the manual.

I'll make a quick inventory of any other boards I still have and post the list later today.

Jim, N5IB