Topics

Experimenter board pin confusion

Nick Kennedy

I'm going through my junk boxes to see if I have the pins and sockets for this board. Those pins at E are my main confusion.  What they heck are they?  I've searched Mouser and eBay a little and haven't found any that look like that.  Are the pins round?  How come they go both directions like that?  In real life, are they a double-male connector?

I have some of the B sockets.  I think.  I believe they were SIMM or SIPP sockets that folks (like me) were using for HC49U crystal sockets.  Will they accept the pin?  Looks like a standard DIP chip will plug into them, but not a square (or rectangular) pin from a 0.1" header.

DuWayne Schmidlkofer

I bought some of these from eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-Gold-Plated-2-54mm-Male-40-Pin-Single-Row-Straight-Round-Pin-Header-Strip-/170842982053?hash=item27c70906a5:g:~IwAAOSw-vlVkQOq

But for most projects I just use low profile IC sockets, and mount the standard header pins down from the top.
DuWayne

On 12/9/2015 8:05 PM, Nick Kennedy kennnick@... [PHSNA] wrote:
I'm going through my junk boxes to see if I have the pins and sockets
for this board. Those pins at E are my main confusion. What they heck
are they? I've searched Mouser and eBay a little and haven't found any
that look like that. Are the pins round? How come they go both
directions like that? In real life, are they a double-male connector?

I have some of the B sockets. I think. I believe they were SIMM or
SIPP sockets that folks (like me) were using for HC49U crystal sockets.
Will they accept the pin? Looks like a standard DIP chip will plug into
them, but not a square (or rectangular) pin from a 0.1" header.

eBay item #
170842982053
Is where I got those pins pictured at "E"

They are round, and are designed to fit the round machined-pin sockets ("B" in the pic). Not the same size pin on opposite sides of the carrier. Note that the longer pins are slightly smaller in diameter. They are the "pins" that mate up with the socket. The other "things sticking out" are soldered into the PCB.

Not really a true double male connector, but can be made to work that way - the fatter pins are a tight fit into a socket. I have soldered wires to them to turn them into "plugs" for off-board connections.

Jim, N5IB

---In PHSNA@..., <kennnick@...> wrote :

I'm going through my junk boxes to see if I have the pins and sockets for this board. Those pins at E are my main confusion.  What they heck are they?  I've searched Mouser and eBay a little and haven't found any that look like that.  Are the pins round?  How come they go both directions like that?  In real life, are they a double-male connector?

I have some of the B sockets.  I think.  I believe they were SIMM or SIPP sockets that folks (like me) were using for HC49U crystal sockets.  Will they accept the pin?  Looks like a standard DIP chip will plug into them, but not a square (or rectangular) pin from a 0.1" header.

Thanks Duwayne & Jim.  They're on the boat and headed this way.