Topics

AD9850/51 module pc boards

Jim Pruitt

I have several AD9850 samples.  I wonder if anyone knows where I can find the gerbers for the module pc boards themselves?  I would prefer to make my own and use my existing stash of chips rather than pay the high price they are going for these days.  So far I have not found that layout.  Someone on the QRP-Tech group said it might be open source since the Si5351 module layout is open source but I have no clue how to even search for that as Google has not been my friend on this so far!

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

DaveH52

Maybe you can buy an unpopulated DDS-60 Daughtercard board from Midnight Design Solutions here:
https://midnightdesignsolutions.com/dds60/index.html
The DDS board is described here also:
http://cwtd.org/Jun4.html
--

Dave - AC2GL
All typing errors are my own work and subject to copyright laws,

EB4APL

There is a problem with this board, it is used in another version of the PHSNA (DDS-60 and Arduino Nano) so you will need the main board for it.

Regards,
Ignacio, EB4APL

El 28/09/2018 a las 19:27, Dave Hartman via Groups.Io escribió:
Maybe you can buy an unpopulated DDS-60 Daughtercard board from Midnight Design Solutions here:
https://midnightdesignsolutions.com/dds60/index.html
The DDS board is described here also:
http://cwtd.org/Jun4.html

Jim Pruitt

The DDS60 is a totally different footprint than the AD9850 modules and will not work for my application.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 9/28/2018 10:27 AM, Dave Hartman via Groups.Io wrote:
Maybe you can buy an unpopulated DDS-60 Daughtercard board from Midnight Design Solutions here:
https://midnightdesignsolutions.com/dds60/index.html
The DDS board is described here also:
http://cwtd.org/Jun4.html

Terry VK5TM

Type 1 or 2?

I have one (single row of pins each side) without the filter components on board 3/4 done which I mentioned in an email to Jim a little while ago.

Give me a day or so and I will post it in the files section, but would appreciate someone just doing a double check to make sure here are no errors.

Terry VK5TM

Here is a preliminary 3 pics of the pcb, combined top and bottom layers, top only and bottom only.
Nothing is set in concrete, so changes can be made. The other style module version could also be done.

Couple of points to note:
Obvious one is there is no on-board filter.
The output is through a 1:1 transformer (Coilcraft), this can be changed, but the transformer gives a better output signal both level wise and harmonic suppression wise.
There are some either/or components depending on whether the square wave output is required, these will be explained fully if this goes any further than just an idea.
Most smd components are 0805 sized rather than the smaller size on the current modules.

Steven Dick

Looks good. I like the coilcraft transformer on-board as I have used one myself (Coilcraft WB1-6TSLB)
and it allows good wideband performance and adequate output power for me with a lowpass filter and no output power amp which adds harmonics. Some of those amps are marginal, some can oscillate if the layout is not adequate. There is a problem with the xtal oscillator on EBAY AD9851 type II boards. For the ebay modules. the AD9851 was running off 5 volts but its crystal oscillator also ran on 5 volts but was only rated for 3.3v. Make sure the xtal oscillator is really compatible with 5V input voltage.

for AD9850, 125 MHz oscillator labelled MCO 1510A 125 MHz TQG-9h is a 5 volt oscillator made by Shenzhen Great Electronics. Data sheet:

http://www.szgreat.com/UploadFiles/2010322153029.pdf

For AD9851, 30 MHz oscillator Type II AD9851 boards are labelled CETDCJ 30 032. They are made by Taiten Electronics. It is a 3.3V oscillator, much to my dismay. One of them already failed. See part numbering guide:

http://www.taitien.com.tw/db/download/Model%20Numbering%20Guide_XO.pdf

I ordered a CTS CB3-3C-30M0000 which is rated for 5V. Mouser sells them: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CTS-Electronic-Components/CB3-3C-30M0000?qs=HL%252bYNjdyZ0s2KrBi4NmH2g%3D%3D

See file https://groups.io/g/PHSNA/files/K1RF/Bandpass%20Filter%20measurement%20anomalies%20R2.pdf discussing output amplifier
and file https://groups.io/g/PHSNA/files/K1RF/Expected%20power%20output%20from%20Type%20II%20PHSNA.pdf
-Steve K1RF

Here is a preliminary 3 pics of the pcb, combined top and bottom layers, top only and bottom only.
Nothing is set in concrete, so changes can be made. The other style module version could also be done.

Couple of points to note:
Obvious one is there is no on-board filter.
The output is through a 1:1 transformer (Coilcraft), this can be changed, but the transformer gives a better output signal both level wise and harmonic suppression wise.
There are some either/or components depending on whether the square wave output is required, these will be explained fully if this goes any further than just an idea.
Most smd components are 0805 sized rather than the smaller size on the current modules.

Terry VK5TM

I think if the oscillator module has to be replaced, it should be replaced with a TCXO.

It is surprising how much change in frequency there is with just a light draft across the oscillator, even just breathing on them can produce a shift of more than 100Hz.

Steven Dick

I think you'll be hard pressed finding a TCXO that runs on 5V.
-Steve K1RF