Topics

Problem with PHSNA.exe

Jaques Anthony

Hello all,
   Firstly; It is several weeks since I  joined this group, and I have
spent a lot of time reading through  the posted messages. So a general
thank you is due to all those  who have created such a treasure trove,
and made it possible for me to tackle this project. Thank you all very
much.

   Unfortunately my first posting is a request for more help!

   Firstly I should mention that I have made the Rev 7.02 PCB, i.e.
the one with the Type 2 DDS module and an Arduino UNO. The combination
of milliwatt meter and PHSNA works well. I have loaded V3.02a of the
Arduino software, and V3.0.0.0 of Term232.exe). I do see the results,
but I can not graph them yet because I do no have the Microsoft bloatware,
and I have got nowhere trying to make the Kingsoft spreadsheet produce
sensible graphs. (not tried Open Office yet though.)
   The problem is that I was hoping to use the Windoze program that is
available in the files section. Unfortunately when run it stops with
and error msg.box:
   "The application failed to initialise properly (0xc0000135). OK to
terminate."
   The version of PHSNA.exe is 1.0.0.0.

   I am using Windoze XP + Service pack 3.
   Has anyone else encountered the problem - or can anyone suggest a
cure?

   Whether or not - Thank you for reading this

                                     Tony Jaques (G3PTD)

N5IB

Hi Tony,

I'm not sure I recall running the PHSNA.exe under WinXP... I know I have used it with Win7, Win8, and Win10 both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Someone might chime in with a confirmation about XP. I suppose it's possible that the run-time environment for a Visual Basic task might have to be tended to. VBrun300.dll comes to mind.

Be sure to read Nick's "PHSNA User's Guide 1r40.pdf" which is to be found in the "Windows PHSNA" folder in the files area. Page 2 describes the five files that are needed. There are two Arduino sketches and one .exe file, plus a couple of support txt files for parameters and memories. All of those files are located in that same folder.

In particular, the Arduino sketch that must be loaded in order to use the Windows application is not the same one that is loaded when using Term-232 to communicate with the Arduino.

It also looks like you're not using the latest version of  PHSNA.exe,

Jim, N5IB

---In PHSNA@..., <anthonyjaques94@...> wrote :Hello all,
[...]

Nick Kennedy

Hello Tony,

Jim has covered some of this.  I'm surprised that you found such a old version of Windows PHSNA.  Or maybe that version number means something else.

I can't imagine there haven't been others using Windows XP with it and I haven't heard of any incompatibilities with PHSNA and XP.

Not sure which bloatware you refer to. If it's Excel, the terminal version of PHSNA outputs data in CSV format IIRC, and just about anything should be able to pick it up.

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 9:52 AM, anthonyjaques94@... [PHSNA] <PHSNA@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Nick,
    Thank you for the reply. Having now tried three versions of  PHSNA ( one unknown, V1.39 and 1.40) I now realise that Windows sees them all as V1.0.0.0!. But anyway they each produce exactly the same error message.
    Yes I meant that I don't have Excel. Both Kingsoft Office and Open Office are just to difficult to get sense out of (for me!), but I have been able to produce graphical results in my "usual" spreadsheet - "As Easy As".
    I was hoping that the Windows software would be instant enough to allow live tweaking of a circuit, but although the spreadsheet path takes a long time it is infinitely better than signal generator + rf meter + pencil and paper!

Tony...

Jaques Anthony

Hello Jim.  Thank you very much for the reply.
   Thank you for pointing me to Nick's guide. Although I have read most
of the posts I did not think of looking in the files section for other than software. Also I did not realise that a different version of the Arduino software was needed for the Windows version.
    So with those two things you have been a big help Jim. Thank you.
   I will come back when I have been able to experiment further.

    By the way; I have now tried three versions of PHSNA.exe; One unknown, V1.39 and V1.40. All three cause the same error message. Now it could be that it is caused by the wrong version of the Arduino code, but I would have thought that, as it happens immediately after the .exe file is clicked on, and therefore long before the program is installed, it could not yet "know" about the Arduino.
Tony...

EB4APL

Hi Tony,

Version 1.40 identifies itself as "PHSNA by WA5BDU v1.40" in the top left of the program window frame, but for this you need that the program starts properly.

You are right that looking into the file properties the version shown is 1.0.0.0 for all versions.  Subtle things when programming with MS Visual Studio.

Being a C# program, it needs that your computer have installed .NET support, and XP has not it unless yourself installed it.  I don't remember which version but Nick can confirm this.  Be aware that newer .NET versions does not include previous ones, so if the program needs .NET 3.5 it will not accept .NET 4.0, so install the right one.  Different versions can coexist without problems.

Ignacio EB4APL

El 24/05/2016 a las 10:19, anthonyjaques94@... [PHSNA] escribió:

[...]

I dusted off my sister's old desktop PC (WinXP SP3) and get the same error message you describe. So it does appear that there's trouble in the XP waters. As you said, at that point the task had not even tried to communicate with the Arduino.

We'll have to let folks far more computer savvy than I weigh in to learn if there is a way around the problem.

Jim, N5IB

---In PHSNA@..., <anthonyjaques94@...> wrote
    By the way; I have now tried three versions of PHSNA.exe; One unknown, V1.39 and V1.40. All three cause the same error message. Now it could be that it is caused by the wrong version of the Arduino code, but I would have thought that, as it happens immediately after the .exe file is clicked on, and therefore long before the program is installed, it could not yet "know" about the Arduino.
Tony...

Gary and Janice Tennyson <gtennys@...>

Jim,

I am running "PHSNA by WA5BDU v1.40" on Windows XP SP3, no problem. (I just checked to make sure I had this version.). I have used it several times with no issues.

Gary KO4CY

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 7:19 AM n5ib@... [PHSNA] <PHSNA@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for going to that degree of trouble Jim. I have found out a little more. I have been re-reading the software relevant post that I had stored (on paper!) and come across an almost throw away comment about needing .net installed.
     Now I happen to have .net v3.5, so I installed it.
    Then I got past the former error message, but instead got another one to the effect that I needed .net V4.0.30319.
    So this morning I downloaded that (or at least V4). However it won't install. It generates a message that installation is not permitted on my operating system.
     So, short of buying a completely new O/S, it unfortunately appears that that is that!
     Thank you for the help Jim.

Tony (G3PTD)...

Jaques Anthony

Hello Gary and Janice,
     If you read my reply to Jim you will see that .net is needed - though you probably new that. I would very much like to know what version of .net you are using, and where you got it from.

Tony, G3PTD...

Jaques Anthony

Thank you Ignacio, that was most informative.
    If you look at the reply I sent to Jim, you will see that I did install .net 3.5 - which I happened to have, and then discovered that I needed a later one. Unfortunately I would guess that it needs a later O/S, because it refuses to install!
    Oh well.
Tony...

gtennys@...

Tony,

We're getting into an area that I don't understand, but here goes ...

I opened Control Panel, and then clicked on the icon (not sure about the name) to get a list of installed software.  The following shows up for Microsoft.NET:

Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft.NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft.NET Framework 4 Client Profile

I have no idea how (or where) I got these.

Good luck,

Gary

Alfredo Mendiola Loyola

If you have Windows 7 or higher the operating systems include the Dot Net Framework until 3.5.

Try installing dot net 4.5.

Regards
Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
Lima, Peru

Alfredo Mendiola Loyola

What Dot Net Framework version are you trying to Install?

If you can't install Dot Net Framework 4, try installing dot net framework 4.5.

Regards
Alfredo Mendiola Loyola

EB4APL

Hi Tony,

Certainly I don't know if .NET Framework 4.0 or 4.5 is available for XP, probably not since XP support has been discontinued by MS but I've read that there are people using the program under XP.

A possible solution is to force the program to use .NET 3.5 but this must be done during compilation.  I don't know if it is feasible, but I'll ask to a professional programmer to be sure.  If it is a solution I'll test it and tell the results to Nick, maybe he could make a special version to be used in XP machines.

Regards,

Ignacio

El 25/05/2016 a las 17:39, anthonyjaques94@... [PHSNA] escribió:

Thank you Ignacio, that was most informative.
    If you look at the reply I sent to Jim, you will see that I did install .net 3.5 - which I happened to have, and then discovered that I needed a later one. Unfortunately I would guess that it needs a later O/S, because it refuses to install!
    Oh well.
Tony...

Posted by: anthonyjaques94@...

EB4APL

Hi,

I powered up an old laptop that runs XP and tested PHSNA on it and worked OK.  So I looked in the installed programs list and found that I have .NET Framework 4.0.  It identifies as "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile" so there is one for XP that works. I'll try to find from where can be downloaded.

Regards,
Ignacio

El 26/05/2016 a las 0:28, EB4APL escribió:

[...]

Hi all,
     I hope that you will forgive an omnibus reply, rather than messages to individuals that would be very similar.
    I see light in the tunnel - and it is not an oncoming train!
    When I reported that I have tried .net V4 and it would not install I was wrong. I had collected V4.5, and that won't run on XP. Yesterday I found V4. That does install and I can now run any version of PHSNA.exe.
     So thank you all for your helpful comments and suggestions about this.
    I can now go away, load the required software into the Arduino, and continue to play.
     I am now aware that I should have read through all my printed out forum messages first, to pick up what I had forgotten, but there is such a lot and it is easy to see that now.
     So that you to all of you. I am very gratified by the response. I do hope that my next postings might help the other group members, especially those like me who have recently bought the boards from Jim.

Tony, G3PTD.

N5IB

Glad to hear you got it going, Tony.
I was confident there were folks in the group who could point the way. We sure do have a wide spectrum of expertise lurking here.  I'm sure you'll enjoy using Nick's program.

I'd invite you to write up a short summary of what the initial symptom was and what you had to do to overcome it, and also any comments about using the PHSNA on a "legacy"  system. You can post it here in the Files area and I'll make sure a copy gets put in the Windows PHSNA folder.

Now I'm off to install .net on my sister's old desktop    :^))

---In PHSNA@..., <anthonyjaques94@...> wrote :
 I reported that I have tried .net V4 and it would not install ..... I had collected V4.5, and that won't run on XP. Yesterday I found V4. That does install and I can now run any version of PHSNA.exe.