Topics

Experimenter Board build notes

N5IB

After playing around with a few different kinds of pins, headers, and socket strips I had in the junque boxe, I decided to revise my earlier recommendations on how to mount the header strip for the DDS. I posted an updated document in the Experimenter Board folder in the Files area. Not really anything radically different. Has to do with how much the socket strip needs to be elevated above the board. DRY FIT TEST is essential in any case.

Wouldn't hurt to read it over before beginning parts collection and building.

DuWayne Schmidlkofer

For most of my projects that use the Arduino Nano I use 40 pin low profile IC sockets cut down to 30 pins.  On the Nano I install the regular header pins down through the top of the board.  This is gives a nearly flush fit with the IC socket.  After everything is checked for fit I cut the short pins off flush with the top of the header plastic retainer strip.  If you do not need the A4-A7 pins on a Pro mini they fit directly in a 24 pin IC socket.
DuWayne

Ian

Hi Jim and Group

After building my unit I have wondered if mounting the Arduino module under the experimenters PCB instead of on top of it would allow the filter segment to remain attached without obstructing the USB port. It may require the extended length pins to be used on the sockets for the DDS module and it would hide the reset button but that is not a major problem. There are alternatives that are provided. It would also allow straight or 90 degree pins to be used above the board if required as well for the breakout pins.

Ian VK3LA

sa5pmg@...

Hi all,

could someone tell me the approx. total height of the three boards fitted together including flush cut pins on the underside and the led and pot on the DDS board?

Thanks in advance
/Marcus

Ronald Wagner <rcwagner@...>

I get 34-35 mm. On my unit the LED is taller than the pot and this is for what is referred to as the type II DDS board.

On my build using an UNO, the PHSNA board interferes with the USB port of the UNO.  I had originally been using a LEONARDO which uses a micro USB connector and there was not the interference.  But the Leo would not load the full software set, so I switched it out.

Anyway, now the board does not seat fully, but only by about .5mm.

Ron – AC6RW