Topics

The Funduino

Jerry Haigwood

Recently, I ordered a Funduino UNO R3 board to compare with the Arduino UNO R3 board.   I ordered this board from power59296 on ebay.com.  The Funduino arrived 10 days after ordering it which I think is very good considering it came from China.  The cost of the Funduino was $10.99 and FREE shipping.  It came with a pretty blue, short USB cable.  When I received it, I plugged it into my computer and I had to add a driver for it.  I have an older XP machine so I went into the control panel, selected “System,” then “Hardware” and then “Device Manager.”  Then under “ports,” I select USB and installed the Arduino driver.  After the device driver was installed, I was able to download the Simple SNA program.  As far as I can determine, the Funduino works just as well as the Arduino for about 1/3 of the price.  The quality of construction is excellent actually better than my Arduino.  On my Arduino, some of the female headers are not straight.  The Funduino does not have that problem.  Overall, I am pleased with the Funduino.  I know that Jim, N5IB, has one on order and maybe he will chime when his arrives.

Jerry W5JH

Gene Dorcas <gene@...>

I have some projects that use the Arduino Mega2560.  I just ordered a couple of Funduino Mega and will see if they’re just as good as the ArduinoMega2560 product. I paid about $12.99 each  I think. I’m paying $20 to $30 for the ArduinoMega2560.

Gene, W5DOR

gene@...

www.w5dor.com

From: <n5ib@...>
To: <PHSNA@...>
Subject: [PHSNA] RE: Re: The Funduino
Date: 03 Oct 2013 14:00:43 -0700My Funduino UNO R3 arrived today from "Chipworld". It was marked "Funduino" and "Design in Italy" and WWW.FUNDUINO.CN" Cost was $14.30 including shipping. Ordered on 19 Sept, so took 14 days.

It was supposed to come with a short USB cable, but that was missing. There was a tear in the shipping envelope, which may explain the missing cable. All the other parts in the order were OK.
Quality appears quite good. Plugged it into an ASUS laptop running Win7-64. Found the driver seamlessly as COM5 (my Arduino apparently has dibs on COM4) and accepted the SSNA software. Runs fine.

Looks like these clones are the way to keep the SSNA under the $50 target.

Jim, N5IB

sigcom1

I have posted photos in the Photos section, WB6TNL.  Included is:  "aruduino pro mini clone - atmega328p" (deek-robot miniature UNO clone kit), deek-robot and UNO R3 clone together for size comparo, and deek-robot with FTDI serial to USB board.

73.......Steve Smith WB6TNL

From: <n5ib@...>
To: <PHSNA@...>
Date: 03 Oct 2013 14:00:43 -0700My Funduino UNO R3 arrived today from "Chipworld". It was marked "Funduino" and "Design in Italy" and WWW.FUNDUINO.CN" Cost was $14.30 including shipping. Ordered on 19 Sept, so took 14 days.

It was supposed to come with a short USB cable, but that was missing. There was a tear in the shipping envelope, which may explain the missing cable. All the other parts in the order were OK.
Quality appears quite good. Plugged it into an ASUS laptop running Win7-64. Found the driver seamlessly as COM5 (my Arduino apparently has dibs on COM4) and accepted the SSNA software. Runs fine.

Looks like these clones are the way to keep the SSNA under the $50 target.

Jim, N5IB

caulktel@...

Hi  Steve WB6TN,

I also picked up a Nano and Pro Mini knock off from China and I'm waiting for the serial programmer module to get here any day. Where did you get the adapter to plug the program module directly into the Deek Robot module? I don't have anything like that but can easily make one, however the one you have would be easier. I already built a prototype DDS VFO out of a Arduino UNO and now want to shrink it down to size and get my UNO back for other projects. I'm also following the PHSNA project closely as well. Nice to hear from you again.

Joel

KB6QVI

From: <n5ib@...>
To: <PHSNA@...>
Date: 03 Oct 2013 14:00:43 -0700My Funduino UNO R3 arrived today from "Chipworld". It was marked "Funduino" and "Design in Italy" and WWW.FUNDUINO.CN" Cost was $14.30 including shipping. Ordered on 19 Sept, so took 14 days.

It was supposed to come with a short USB cable, but that was missing. There was a tear in the shipping envelope, which may explain the missing cable. All the other parts in the order were OK.
Quality appears quite good. Plugged it into an ASUS laptop running Win7-64. Found the driver seamlessly as COM5 (my Arduino apparently has dibs on COM4) and accepted the SSNA software. Runs fine.

Looks like these clones are the way to keep the SSNA under the $50 target.

Jim, N5IB

sigcom1

Hi Joel,

I assume by adaptor you mean the inline connector for the serial port on the Deek-Robot board. It came with each board; a 6-pin, right angle header which conviently solders right onto the end of the Deek board. I posted a picture of the Deek kit in the Group Photos section but it isn't very clear that the 6-pin header is righ-angle.

My reason for purchasing the Deek boards is basically the same as yours. For 6 bucks or so I can dedicate the Deek board controller to a project without tying up an UNO. Sketch development can be done on the UNO then transferred to the Deek board.

Best of luck with your projects and

73.......Steve Smith WB6TNL

From: <@caulktel>
To: <PHSNA@...>
Subject: [PHSNA] RE: The Funduino
Date: 07 Oct 2013 18:46:03 -0700

I also picked up a Nano and Pro Mini knock off from China and I'm waiting for the serial programmer module to get here any day. Where did you get the adapter to plug the program module directly into the Deek Robot module? I don't have anything like that but can easily make one, however the one you have would be easier. I already built a prototype DDS VFO out of a Arduino UNO and now want to shrink it down to size and get my UNO back for other projects. I'm also following the PHSNA project closely as well. Nice to hear from you again.

sigcom1

Hi Joel,

Here are the auction numbers where I bought the boards and stuff:

161109783605 : Deek board
230820610037 : FTDI USB to serial board
251314107951 : UNO R3 clone

73.......Steve Smith WB6TNL