Re: Measuring high impedance filters

Jerry Haigwood

Hi Jim and Nick,

It has been my experience that an L network works a lot better than a transformer.  However, I have never tried to build one for 50:2000 ohms.  The transformers introduce more loss than an L network.  I typically use ZMAT a software program which comes with the book, “Experimental Methods in RF Design” to design the network.  I then wind the toroid and use a combination of a fixed and a variable cap.  I temporarily mount the L network on a piece of copper clad and use a resistor as a temporary load.  I then connect my RF generator with my Return Loss Bridge to the 50 ohm side.  I set the frequency on the RF Generator correctly and adjust the variable capacitor for the best return loss (typically -25-30 db).  Then, without changing the variable cap, I mount the L network in place.  I learned this method from my good Aussie friend Kerry.

I am not sure if a 50:2000 ohm “L” network would work well.  The Q might be too high.  You might try a pair of L networks in series.  Maybe a 50: 350 ohm and then a 350:2000 ohm.

Nick, as far as going down to 455 KHz, the SSNA has not been tested below 1 MHz.  You may have to modify the amp or substitute a MMIC for the amp.

Jerry W5JH

"building something without experimenting is just solder practice"

Sent: Saturday, October 05, 2013 3:34 PM
To: PHSNA@...
Subject: Re: [PHSNA] Measuring high impedance filters

Hi Nick,

I'd think you could use a broadband transformer. It ought to do OK over the fairly limited bandwidth of the filters.

For 50:2000 you'd need about a 1:6 turns ratio. And the reactance of the high-turns winding ought to be around 2000 ohms or better. That's around 70 uH at 5 MHz.

Ferrite cores should serve.

Or maybe a combination of techniques... 4:1 quadrafilar transformer to give 50:800 then attenuator pad to handle the remaining transformation. Wouldn't have to introduce so much loss, so maybe the level would be high enough for decent dynamic reange.

Jim, N5IB

Join PHSNA@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.