From: PHSNA@... [mailto:PHSNA@...] On Behalf Of n5ib@...
Sent: Saturday, October 05, 2013 3:34 PM
To: PHSNA@...
Subject: Re: [PHSNA] Measuring high impedance filters

Hi Nick,

I'd think you could use a broadband transformer. It ought to do OK over the fairly limited bandwidth of the filters.

For 50:2000 you'd need about a 1:6 turns ratio. And the reactance of the high-turns winding ought to be around 2000 ohms or better. That's around 70 uH at 5 MHz.

Ferrite cores should serve.

Or maybe a combination of techniques... 4:1 quadrafilar transformer to give 50:800 then attenuator pad to handle the remaining transformation. Wouldn't have to introduce so much loss, so maybe the level would be high enough for decent dynamic reange.