Re: AD9850 module pc board

Nick Kennedy

It's different for everyone, but I'm not sure I'm up to soldering in any
more TSSOP chips. I've done them successfully with an iron and with a heat
gun but don't want to press my luck going forward.

As for the Si5351a, I've soldered in a few on boards built by others and on
one I did myself using toner transfer. But when I found that you could get
them in a module form for $7 or so, that was a great day. In general, yes -
more fun to do it yourself. But these tiny modules have a 5 V to 3.3 V
regulator plus the 3.x volt to TTL level shifters on board. Add in the
those little coax connectors I can't think of the name of right now, plus
pins for the control logic and it's a sweet deal.

(Is it SMA? Anyway, I usually solder mini-coax right to the pads.)

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 12:44 AM Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

Hello Nick.

I will see if I can get some activity started then.

I see a lot of projects that use the AD9850 and AD9851 but they all seem
to use the module that was so cheap from China 6 years ago but is now up
around $25 each and of questionable quality.

It has long since annoyed me that designers use the module (either the
AD9850 or a Arduino Nano, etc) when just the chip will do. This is true
for the Si5351 as well as the AD985x and Arduino. Often the only thing
actually needed for the circuit is the DDS or PLL chip or cpu and the
other things on the modules are superfluous. The reason it annoys me is
because I have a stack of AD9850 and AD9851 and AD9854 dds chips and I
bought 25 of the Si5351 chips from Digikey a few months ago but I have
not found pc boards to accept them and have no desire to spend $25+ for
a AD9851 module that may be nothing more than a floor sweeping AD9850.

Does anyone know of gerbers for a AD985x module or a Si5351 module so I
can make my own modules since already have the main chip. I only know
of one person that had gerbers for one of the modules. Does anyone know
of others? I do wish designers would put the module circuit on the pc
board. They could still add the pins/sockets for the modules and
accommodate both worlds without increasing board real estate.

Is there any discussion on the subject?

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY