Re: VNArduino project

DuWayne Schmidlkofer

Here is another 1 port VNA you might be interested in

https://bitbucket.org/kuchura/eu1ky_aa_v3/wiki/Home

DuWayne KV4QB

On 11/30/2017 12:27 AM, Vaclav vaclav_sal@... [PHSNA] wrote:

Clifford thanks,
I'll take a closer look at the datasheet...
As far as using AD8302 module - this is my fist real SMT project and I decided
NOT to solder SMT IC's especially  when someone already done that.

But you make a good point - there are few copies of the original design with not much circuit description.
Most of the "description " is how wonderfully  it works in different "mode" and with cool display(s) - CD, TFT etc.
.
PS
Just a note - I dropped the "Arduino"  - I have "just " HF VNA.
I used VNArduino in my post becuse that is whan is "on the market".
And for other reasons...

Vaclav

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 9:51:09 PM CST, Clifford Heath clifford.heath@... [PHSNA] wrote:

Vaclav,

Read the data sheet for the AD8302. The module just puts it on a board.

There are two independent multi-stage log detectors, and a mixer that
multiplies the two signals. The phase detection relies on the two signals
being close in amplitude (within 30dB, which limits the depth of a null
you can detect). There is no filtering at all, so whatever comes out of
the mixer gets detected as phase, even if the two signals are on
completely different frequencies. Same deal with the relative amplitude;
it's only *relative* amplitude of the transmitted vs *all* received signals.

It was designed to recover a video signal from a clean filtered IF.
I.e. it works ok if you have clean signals and no interference. When
probing an antenna, that pretty often just isn't the case; especially
up on a roof where other antennae are transmitting. A real VNA is
immune to off-channel interference.

Clifford Heath.