Re: Bargain Basement AD-8307

Nick Kennedy

Jim, I bought ten of the eBay AD8307s some time back and did use one in my PHSNA.  I don't have detailed measurements or comparisons but it seemed to work like the real thing for me.

Not derailing your thoughts (too much), but speaking of cheap goods from the east -- anybody tried cheapie rotary encoders?  I'm seeing them ten for less than $5 with switch, postpaid on eBay.  I know a certain amount of flakiness can be fixed in software.

Also was amazed to see 16x2 LCD text displays, blue with backlight for $1.89 each, postpaid.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 3:13 PM, n5ib@... [PHSNA] <PHSNA@...> wrote:

Finally got around to building up a power meter board using one of the eBay chip sellers' AD-8307 parts.

The vendor was survy2014
The item number was 201114847196
10 pieces $6.88 postpaid.

Performance appears to be indistinguishable from that of my "official" chips
It has the "quonset hut" copper shield over the RF front end.
Not in a shielded box, and it is powered from the same source as the Type II PHSNA.
Calibrating with my M^3 Calibrator in the same manner as the other units yielded
   slope:  0.09132 dBm/count
   intercept:  -84.14 dBm
   apparent noise floor (unterminated input): about -70 dBm.

1 MHz to 30 MHz sweep with Type II PHSNA yields a plot essentially identical to that obtained with the original power meter.

I'll stop short of saying this is a ringing endorsement, since it's just one chip randomly selected from the ten I acquired. As always - YMMV.  Anyone else have experience to report on these chips?