Re: Arduino UNO digital I/O

Nick Kennedy

Not sure what replies you have have already had since the Yahoo interface is acting a bit weird as to showing other messages in the thread.

I usually use the 4-bit version of the LCD interface.  Then an E and and RS line are needed.  You can tie the R/W line to "write only" usually.  So six lines are needed.

I've also been known to multiplex or share lines for multiple purposes.  If a line on the LCD is an input and the LCD will ignore it except when it gets a command to readthe data lines, you can use it for other purposes in the same project.