Topics

sticky Thoughts on Building PEC Membership

Admin

Hello everyone-

Enjoyed seeing everyone last night. I hope the lights were bright  when you returned to the home place! Jody gave an outstanding presentation.

First, let me say that I have added Lewis Haselwood and Gordon Sherard to the group list as both have indicated an interest in sustaining the future of Piedmont Economics. Both are long time members with an institutional memory. As I think about most successful organizations it’s rare to find one that doesn’t adjust to the times. How we traditionalists see the future is generally different from that of the younger generation. I was not a member in the days of formal attire for the meetings. Likewise, we do not have a deep pocketed individual as a funding source for the club as was the case in the early days. The fact remains however that PEC is a relevant organization with solid ideas and good people.

As I look over the attendance roster of past years, I am saddened by the number of members who have met their final reward. We have others that have dropped their membership due to poor health, age or lack of continued interest. I think is fairly normal for any organization. The challenge is how do we get better while attracting additional members from differing generations.

I have given some thought about PEC as it relates to other economics clubs across the country. I must say that few operate in the manner that we do at our PEC.  To my way of thinking  this is a plus in so far as we seek differentiation from other such clubs.

With an eye towards our golden anniversary next year, I think there are a number of issues which merit discussion. Here is my list of items which certainly may differ from others:

  1. Governance – Tom is correct. We need a structure in place that clearly identifies our leadership and the roles they perform. We should identify terms of service that will infuse new blood in the leadership ranks
  2. Organizational form – we should investigate the possibilities of converting the club from a 501 C7 organization to a 501C3 organization.
  3. Communications – we need to bring the club into the 21st century with a fully functioning website that is populated with PEC content and a payment mechanism in so far as attendance is concerned. Facebook and twitter is a plus too.
  4. Membership – should we pursue an open enrollment membership policy or one by invitation only. Should membership require a member sponsor? Regardless, we very much need to attract balance, young vs older vs old.
  5. Time and day of events – should we think about adding a daytime event to the calendar in an attempt to feed interest to our traditional evening program.
  6. Venue – should we explore a different venue with cost considerations in mind.
  7. Pricing – how should we think about pricing – season pass versus individual events. Guests vs Non Guests. Young adult pricing vs traditional pricing.
  8. Program content – National vs Regional vs State vs Local. Deep theme vs relevant timing themes. Jody Lipford’s presentation tied both together.
  9. Sponsorship – it is becoming more difficult to attract great speakers with the resource constraints of low membership. Should we seek sponsors, how do we price and what do they receive for their generosity?
  10. Students – how can we better serve the young adults in the room that are such a great part of our program?

I’m sure there are other items of interest and look forward to your thoughts.

Admin

Edited