Topics

sticky Thoughts on Building PEC Membership

Admin

Hello everyone-

Enjoyed seeing everyone last night. I hope the lights were bright  when you returned to the home place! Jody gave an outstanding presentation.

First, let me say that I have added Lewis Haselwood and Gordon Sherard to the group list as both have indicated an interest in sustaining the future of Piedmont Economics. Both are long time members with an institutional memory. As I think about most successful organizations it’s rare to find one that doesn’t adjust to the times. How we traditionalists see the future is generally different from that of the younger generation. I was not a member in the days of formal attire for the meetings. Likewise, we do not have a deep pocketed individual as a funding source for the club as was the case in the early days. The fact remains however that PEC is a relevant organization with solid ideas and good people.

As I look over the attendance roster of past years, I am saddened by the number of members who have met their final reward. We have others that have dropped their membership due to poor health, age or lack of continued interest. I think is fairly normal for any organization. The challenge is how do we get better while attracting additional members from differing generations.

I have given some thought about PEC as it relates to other economics clubs across the country. I must say that few operate in the manner that we do at our PEC.  To my way of thinking  this is a plus in so far as we seek differentiation from other such clubs.

With an eye towards our golden anniversary next year, I think there are a number of issues which merit discussion. Here is my list of items which certainly may differ from others:

1. Governance – Tom is correct. We need a structure in place that clearly identifies our leadership and the roles they perform. We should identify terms of service that will infuse new blood in the leadership ranks
  2. Organizational form – we should investigate the possibilities of converting the club from a 501 C7 organization to a 501C3 organization.
  3. Communications – we need to bring the club into the 21st century with a fully functioning website that is populated with PEC content and a payment mechanism in so far as attendance is concerned. Facebook and twitter is a plus too.
  4. Membership – should we pursue an open enrollment membership policy or one by invitation only. Should membership require a member sponsor? Regardless, we very much need to attract balance, young vs older vs old.
  5. Time and day of events – should we think about adding a daytime event to the calendar in an attempt to feed interest to our traditional evening program.
  6. Venue – should we explore a different venue with cost considerations in mind.
  7. Pricing – how should we think about pricing – season pass versus individual events. Guests vs Non Guests. Young adult pricing vs traditional pricing.
  8. Program content – National vs Regional vs State vs Local. Deep theme vs relevant timing themes. Jody Lipford’s presentation tied both together.
  9. Sponsorship – it is becoming more difficult to attract great speakers with the resource constraints of low membership. Should we seek sponsors, how do we price and what do they receive for their generosity?
  10. Students – how can we better serve the young adults in the room that are such a great part of our program?

I’m sure there are other items of interest and look forward to your thoughts.

Admin

Edited

Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:15 AM
To: Tom Snider <tom.snider@...>; Sue Bies <ssbies@...>; Daniel Foster <daniel.foster@...>; Sydney Taylor <sydney.taylor@...>; Camp Wynn <cwynn@...>
Subject: Building PEC Membership

Sue, Tom, Dan, Sydney and Camp--

I write to thank you for your interest in building Piedmont Economics Club membership. Tom Snider has indicated a willingness to give some leadership to the effort.  Dan Foster has suggested that we focus on the club's upcoming 50th birthday.  With that in mind, I suggest that we go for 50 members for our 50th.

As mentioned last night to Tom and Sue, we need to remove the mystery that may exist in some minds about becoming a PEC member.  Does it require a nomination, invitation, or what. A small step toward clarity could involve our using the format for our 2012-2013 flyer, which I attach for your inspection.  Here we have a brief history, past speakers, the year-ahead program, and a fill-in for folks who wish to join.  Sydney built this one years ago.   I think we should rebuild this and have the new flyers on the table at all meetings.  It would be beneficial to have an active club web site complete with information and some photos, but of course, this begs for talent and time to make it happen.

Thanks to Tom for lighting a fire to this.  Let's swap some ideas by email and then see what happens with regard to building an action plan.  I suggest we shoot for unveiling a new effort--by email to members or otherwise--before our February meeting:  

50 for the 50th.

Bruce

100 Clemson Street
Clemson, SC 29631
Cell 864.650.6003
Land 864.654.8979

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:29 AM, Camp Wynn <cwynn@...> wrote:

I don’t have the calendar handy, but who is our first speaker of 2019?  If it is the typical forecast from an economist, that is always a popular night.  I wonder if we should (could) have an open house where have guest at a discounted price.  I don’t know the finances of the dinner meetings – does it cost us $55 to the Poinsett Club if we have a guest?  I try to bring guest but I don’t invite 5 people because I am rather cheap.  But if the actual price to cover costs was $30 or so, I would send out an invite to 10 people who could be candidates and tell them to pay their own freight.  Not all would show but if we had an open house at a discount, it may not be as intimidating to folks who are unaware of the club. 

Camp R. Wynn CFA

Colonial Trust Company

101 East Washington Street

Suite 330

Greenville, SC 29601

P: (864) 385-6934

C: (864) 590-3562

F: (864) 370-9938

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please return it to the sender immediately and delete the original message and any copy of it from your computer system.  If you have any questions concerning this message, please contact the sender. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Thank You

Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 12:19 PM
To: Camp Wynn <cwynn@...>; Tom Snider <tom.snider@...>; Sue Bies <ssbies@...>; Daniel Foster <Daniel.Foster@...>; Sydney Taylor <sydney.taylor@...>
Subject: Re: Building PEC Membership

Great idea, Camp.  The first 2019 meeting is now scheduled for February 13.   Raj Gupta, SeaCrest Wealth Management chief investment officer is the speaker.  (See attached program sheet.  February has just been added.)

I believe we should try to embrace your idea, Camp.  Lewis told me last night that $55 does not cover the marginal cost of a Poinsett meal and bar tab.  Nonetheless, I think we should look real hard at doing some sponsoring to have the kind of evening you envision.  We did that once in the past, and picked up some members, too.

Let's get more reactions.

Bruce

100 Clemson Street
Clemson, SC 29631
Cell 864.650.6003
Land 864.654.8979

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 3:12 PM, Daniel Foster <Daniel.Foster@...> wrote:

Hello everyone-

Enjoyed seeing everyone last night. I hope the lights were bright  when you returned to the home place! Jody gave an outstanding presentation.

First, let me say that I have added Lewis Haselwood and Gordon Sherard to the group list as both have indicated an interest in sustaining the future of Piedmont Economics. Both are long time members with an institutional memory. As I think about most successful organizations it’s rare to find one that doesn’t adjust to the times. How we traditionalists see the future is generally different from that of the younger generation. I was not a member in the days of formal attire for the meetings. Likewise, we do not have a deep pocketed individual as a funding source for the club as was the case in the early days. The fact remains however that PEC is a relevant organization with solid ideas and good people.

As I look over the attendance roster of past years, I am saddened by the number of members who have met their final reward. We have others that have dropped their membership due to poor health, age or lack of continued interest. I think is fairly normal for any organization. The challenge is how do we get better while attracting additional members from differing generations.

I have given some thought about PEC as it relates to other economics clubs across the country. I must say that few operate in the manner that we do at our PEC.  To my way of thinking  this is a plus in so far as we seek differentiation from other such clubs.

With an eye towards our golden anniversary next year, I think there are a number of issues which merit discussion. Here is my list of items which certainly may differ from others:

1. Governance – Tom is correct. We need a structure in place that clearly identifies our leadership and the roles they perform. We should identify terms of service that will infuse new blood in the leadership ranks
  2. Organizational form – we should investigate the possibilities of converting the club from a 501 C7 organization to a 501C3 organization.
  3. Communications – we need to bring the club into the 21st century with a fully functioning website that is populated with PEC content and a payment mechanism in so far as attendance is concerned. Facebook and twitter is a plus too.
  4. Membership – should we pursue an open enrollment membership policy or one by invitation only. Should membership require a member sponsor? Regardless, we very much need to attract balance, young vs older vs old.
  5. Time and day of events – should we think about adding a daytime event to the calendar in an attempt to feed interest to our traditional evening program.
  6. Venue – should we explore a different venue with cost considerations in mind.
  7. Pricing – how should we think about pricing – season pass versus individual events. Guests vs Non Guests. Young adult pricing vs traditional pricing.
  8. Program content – National vs Regional vs State vs Local. Deep theme vs relevant timing themes. Jody Lipford’s presentation tied both together.
  9. Sponsorship – it is becoming more difficult to attract great speakers with the resource constraints of low membership. Should we seek sponsors, how do we price and what do they receive for their generosity?
  10. Students – how can we better serve the young adults in the room that are such a great part of our program?

And before we get too far along in the back and forth let’s use a common group platform for everyone to respond with their thoughts. By doing so we insure that everyone sees the group correspondence. You will receive an invitation to join Piedmont Economics Group from PEC@groups.io

Please accept the invitation.

I’m relying on my daughter Ivey to work us toward group email, website (part of the content is from the pics last night), Facebook etc.. The pics are really, really good. We also have audio content from many of our past meetings. More on this later.

All best - Dan

H Daniel Foster

Registered Principal

Raymond James Financial Services, Inc.

Member FINRA/SIPC

1445 East Main Street

Spartanburg, SC  29307

864-582-1611

Raymond James Financial Services does not accept orders and/or instructions regarding your account by email, voice mail, fax or any alternate method.  Transactional details do not supersede normal trade confirmations or statements.  Email sent through the Internet is not secure or confidential.  Raymond James Financial Services reserves the right to monitor all email.

Any information provided in this email has been prepared from sources believed to be reliable, but is not guaranteed by Raymond James Financial Services and is not a complete summary or statement of all available date necessary for making an investment decision.  Any information provided is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a recommendation.  Raymond James Financial Services and its employees may own options, rights or warrants to purchase any of the securities mentioned in email.  This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you receive this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from your computer.

On Oct 10, 2018, at 3:20 PM, Bruce Yandle <yandle@...> wrote:

Super content, Dan, and wonderful expansion of interested parties.

Bruce

100 Clemson Street
Clemson, SC 29631
Cell 864.650.6003
Land 864.654.8979

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:08 PM, Gordon Sherard <gbsherard@...> wrote:

A couple of observations about the early years.  There wasn't any deep pocket funding, we charged for membership.  There was an individual of substantial means who could entice speakers because of their existing or prospective investment relationship.  So many times all we had was the airfare and a hotel.

E.G. Charlie Maxwell came I think six times because of his regard for the individual.  There used to be an investment conference at Arden House (Harriman resort house owned by Columbia Univ.) in late winter, Prof Ray Roberts and I went a few times and got speakers who would come for expenses.  E.G., James Grant came for free the first time as he was just starting his newsletter.  The next was $1,500, the most we had paid to that date, and the third time our calls weren't returned.  If you look at the leaflet from the first twenty years, many of those were recruited at Arden House.

The original membership was the business leaders of Greenville, black tie as noted, and 'if you can't come, send an associate as a treat'.  Black tie ended when wives started ambushing husbands who went home to change, I've been here with the kids and now you're going to a party.  So we made it business dress and a six PM start.

There are a bunch of businesses in the Upstate who might subscribe to the original formula?

We always tried for fifty members.  Sometimes speakers might be provided at no cost, perhaps as the Seacrest speaker in Feb.  A headwind is that the same people can sometimes be seen on TV;  our pitch was that you have personal access.

Not being part of the leadership, I hesitate to mention this, but it seems we have a larger number of academic guests than I was used to.  PEC in conjunction with Magill foundation established Economics cash prizes for rising seniors at Clemson and Furman;  maybe those recipients should be guests?

Regards,

Gordon

On Oct 11, 2018, at 8:14 AM, Bruce Yandle <yandle@...> wrote:

Gordon, It is wonderful to think about PEC's early years and what might be pulled into the current setting.  Plenty to think about here.  So that all will understand, let me point out that there are five members and one outside party who sponsor the student and faculty guests from the five local schools.  Our interaction with students is a valuable part of our brand, but it is important that there be as many of "us" as is of them.  Not sure that I can squeeze myself into my old tuxedo, but I am willing to consider it..., at least once for old time sake.

Bruce

100 Clemson Street
Clemson, SC 29631
Cell 864.650.6003
Land 864.654.8979

Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:25 PM
To: Bruce Yandle
Cc: Daniel FosterCamp WynnTom SniderSue BiesLewis Haselwood (lewis@...)dfoste77@...sydneyttaylor@...

Bringing faculty and students to meetings has always been a priority. The original thought was along the line of the professors were not really up on the market/free enterprise side of economics. We had Arthur Laffer in 1979, before he came to prominence.

A lot of anecdotes.  One time when one of the founders was ill, another 'founder' spent the Treasury to bring Dr Walter Heller, because he wanted to meet him.  At the meeting, a member notorious for being obnoxious was particularly so and Dr Heller was offended.

The founder was interested in gold, and many speakers came on this subject.  I was pointedly asked by several members to have no more on gold.

A lot of memories.

Gordon 

Gordon <gbsherard@...>

What year are we designating as 50Th?

On Oct 11, 2018, at 5:34 PM, Admin <piedmont.economics.club@...> wrote:

Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:15 AM
To: Tom Snider <tom.snider@...>; Sue Bies <ssbies@...>; Daniel Foster <daniel.foster@...>; Sydney Taylor <sydney.taylor@...>; Camp Wynn <cwynn@...>
Subject: Building PEC Membership

Sue, Tom, Dan, Sydney and Camp--

I write to thank you for your interest in building Piedmont Economics Club membership. Tom Snider has indicated a willingness to give some leadership to the effort.  Dan Foster has suggested that we focus on the club's upcoming 50th birthday.  With that in mind, I suggest that we go for 50 members for our 50th.

As mentioned last night to Tom and Sue, we need to remove the mystery that may exist in some minds about becoming a PEC member.  Does it require a nomination, invitation, or what. A small step toward clarity could involve our using the format for our 2012-2013 flyer, which I attach for your inspection.  Here we have a brief history, past speakers, the year-ahead program, and a fill-in for folks who wish to join.  Sydney built this one years ago.   I think we should rebuild this and have the new flyers on the table at all meetings.  It would be beneficial to have an active club web site complete with information and some photos, but of course, this begs for talent and time to make it happen.

Thanks to Tom for lighting a fire to this.  Let's swap some ideas by email and then see what happens with regard to building an action plan.  I suggest we shoot for unveiling a new effort--by email to members or otherwise--before our February meeting:  

50 for the 50th.

Bruce

100 Clemson Street
Clemson, SC 29631
Cell 864.650.6003
Land 864.654.8979

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:29 AM, Camp Wynn <cwynn@...> wrote:

I don’t have the calendar handy, but who is our first speaker of 2019?  If it is the typical forecast from an economist, that is always a popular night.  I wonder if we should (could) have an open house where have guest at a discounted price.  I don’t know the finances of the dinner meetings – does it cost us $55 to the Poinsett Club if we have a guest?  I try to bring guest but I don’t invite 5 people because I am rather cheap.  But if the actual price to cover costs was $30 or so, I would send out an invite to 10 people who could be candidates and tell them to pay their own freight.  Not all would show but if we had an open house at a discount, it may not be as intimidating to folks who are unaware of the club. 

Camp R. Wynn CFA

Colonial Trust Company

101 East Washington Street

Suite 330

Greenville, SC 29601

P: (864) 385-6934

C: (864) 590-3562

F: (864) 370-9938

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please return it to the sender immediately and delete the original message and any copy of it from your computer system.  If you have any questions concerning this message, please contact the sender. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Thank You

Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 12:19 PM
To: Camp Wynn <cwynn@...>; Tom Snider <tom.snider@...>; Sue Bies <ssbies@...>; Daniel Foster <Daniel.Foster@...>; Sydney Taylor <sydney.taylor@...>

Great idea, Camp.  The first 2019 meeting is now scheduled for February 13.   Raj Gupta, SeaCrest Wealth Management chief investment officer is the speaker.  (See attached program sheet.  February has just been added.)

I believe we should try to embrace your idea, Camp.  Lewis told me last night that $55 does not cover the marginal cost of a Poinsett meal and bar tab.  Nonetheless, I think we should look real hard at doing some sponsoring to have the kind of evening you envision.  We did that once in the past, and picked up some members, too.

Let's get more reactions.

Bruce

100 Clemson Street
Clemson, SC 29631
Cell 864.650.6003
Land 864.654.8979

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 3:12 PM, Daniel Foster <Daniel.Foster@...> wrote:

Hello everyone-

Enjoyed seeing everyone last night. I hope the lights were bright  when you returned to the home place! Jody gave an outstanding presentation.

I have given some thought about PEC as it relates to other economics clubs across the country. I must say that few operate in the manner that we do at our PEC.  To my way of thinking  this is a plus in so far as we seek differentiation from other such clubs.

And before we get too far along in the back and forth let’s use a common group platform for everyone to respond with their thoughts. By doing so we insure that everyone sees the group correspondence. You will receive an invitation to join Piedmont Economics Group from PEC@groups.io

Please accept the invitation.

I’m relying on my daughter Ivey to work us toward group email, website (part of the content is from the pics last night), Facebook etc.. The pics are really, really good. We also have audio content from many of our past meetings. More on this later.

All best - Dan

H Daniel Foster

Registered Principal

Raymond James Financial Services, Inc.

Member FINRA/SIPC

1445 East Main Street

Spartanburg, SC  29307

864-582-1611

Raymond James Financial Services does not accept orders and/or instructions regarding your account by email, voice mail, fax or any alternate method.  Transactional details do not supersede normal trade confirmations or statements.  Email sent through the Internet is not secure or confidential.  Raymond James Financial Services reserves the right to monitor all email.

Any information provided in this email has been prepared from sources believed to be reliable, but is not guaranteed by Raymond James Financial Services and is not a complete summary or statement of all available date necessary for making an investment decision.  Any information provided is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a recommendation.  Raymond James Financial Services and its employees may own options, rights or warrants to purchase any of the securities mentioned in email.  This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you receive this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from your computer.

On Oct 10, 2018, at 3:20 PM, Bruce Yandle <yandle@...> wrote:

Super content, Dan, and wonderful expansion of interested parties.

Bruce

100 Clemson Street
Clemson, SC 29631
Cell 864.650.6003
Land 864.654.8979

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:08 PM, Gordon Sherard <gbsherard@...> wrote:

A couple of observations about the early years.  There wasn't any deep pocket funding, we charged for membership.  There was an individual of substantial means who could entice speakers because of their existing or prospective investment relationship.  So many times all we had was the airfare and a hotel.

E.G. Charlie Maxwell came I think six times because of his regard for the individual.  There used to be an investment conference at Arden House (Harriman resort house owned by Columbia Univ.) in late winter, Prof Ray Roberts and I went a few times and got speakers who would come for expenses.  E.G., James Grant came for free the first time as he was just starting his newsletter.  The next was $1,500, the most we had paid to that date, and the third time our calls weren't returned.  If you look at the leaflet from the first twenty years, many of those were recruited at Arden House.

The original membership was the business leaders of Greenville, black tie as noted, and 'if you can't come, send an associate as a treat'.  Black tie ended when wives started ambushing husbands who went home to change, I've been here with the kids and now you're going to a party.  So we made it business dress and a six PM start.

There are a bunch of businesses in the Upstate who might subscribe to the original formula?

We always tried for fifty members.  Sometimes speakers might be provided at no cost, perhaps as the Seacrest speaker in Feb.  A headwind is that the same people can sometimes be seen on TV;  our pitch was that you have personal access.

Not being part of the leadership, I hesitate to mention this, but it seems we have a larger number of academic guests than I was used to.  PEC in conjunction with Magill foundation established Economics cash prizes for rising seniors at Clemson and Furman;  maybe those recipients should be guests?

Regards,

Gordon

On Oct 11, 2018, at 8:14 AM, Bruce Yandle <yandle@...> wrote:

Gordon, It is wonderful to think about PEC's early years and what might be pulled into the current setting.  Plenty to think about here.  So that all will understand, let me point out that there are five members and one outside party who sponsor the student and faculty guests from the five local schools.  Our interaction with students is a valuable part of our brand, but it is important that there be as many of "us" as is of them.  Not sure that I can squeeze myself into my old tuxedo, but I am willing to consider it..., at least once for old time sake.

Bruce

100 Clemson Street
Clemson, SC 29631
Cell 864.650.6003
Land 864.654.8979

Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:25 PM
To: Bruce Yandle
Cc: Daniel FosterCamp WynnTom SniderSue BiesLewis Haselwood (lewis@...)dfoste77@...sydneyttaylor@...

Bringing faculty and students to meetings has always been a priority. The original thought was along the line of the professors were not really up on the market/free enterprise side of economics. We had Arthur Laffer in 1979, before he came to prominence.

A lot of anecdotes.  One time when one of the founders was ill, another 'founder' spent the Treasury to bring Dr Walter Heller, because he wanted to meet him.  At the meeting, a member notorious for being obnoxious was particularly so and Dr Heller was offended.

The founder was interested in gold, and many speakers came on this subject.  I was pointedly asked by several members to have no more on gold.

A lot of memories.

Gordon 

Dan

My understanding is that it is the Fall 2019 to Spring 2020 season.

Gordon <gbsherard@...>

Why not?

On Oct 11, 2018, at 6:07 PM, Dan <dfoste77@...> wrote:

My understanding is that it is the Fall 2019 to Spring 2020 season.