Topics

Yes - Chestnut Collared Longspur at 12:30 pm Fairview Park

calvin hardcastle

The Chestnut Collared Longspur was observed from about 12 to 12:30 at approximate GPS coordinates 33.66115, -117.940484 in Fairview Park in Costa Mesa.  This is about 50 yards south of where many of us saw the bird on Sunday morning.  Howard was on the bird when I found him after being pointed in the right direction by others.  The CCLO was very near the wind vane on the north side of the mini-plane airport.

The CCLO was slowly shuffling down the trail, about 20 feet in 30 minutes, and expertly working the shadows and any available shade.  At 12:30, the bird flew to the northwest with its three note flight call and white outer tail feathers and black triangle showing.

Suggest any searchers to walk slowly and watch the shades and edges of the trail in front of your feet.  Trish's map from Monday will be helpful for attempts to refind.  Good luck.
--
Calvin Hardcastle - Irvine

Donna Bray

Thanks for the update.  But I also have negative report for later in the afternoon.
Donna Bray
Norwalk

On Sep 17, 2019, at 1:42 PM, calvin hardcastle <chhardcastle@...> wrote:

[...]

MARK KINCHELOE

Hi all

Arrived at 7am.
Found longspur rather quickly on the trails of the previously published map.
Very approachable.
Mark Kincheloe
Fountain Valley