Topics

Vireo sp. at Huntington Central Park 21 SEP

Jeff Bray

We had an interesting vireo at HCP this morning. Ebird list below with a few small photos (I’ll add higher res later) Looking on the Blue-headed side...  open to opinions. It was last seen on the west end of the “island” area. It was silent. Observed for about 6 minutes, then it caught a huge caterpillar and disappeared.

Location was near this area:

--
Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

Ryan Winkleman

Birders,

Just a note that Blue-headed Vireo is a CBRC review species, so the final decision on this bird will lie with them. That being said, I would suggest taking as many photos as possible if the bird is refound, particularly if any other Solitary Vireos show up.

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 10:03 AM Jeff Bray <jbray4913@...> wrote:
We had an interesting vireo at HCP this morning. Ebird list below with a few small photos (I’ll add higher res later) Looking on the Blue-headed side...  open to opinions. It was last seen on the west end of the “island” area. It was silent. Observed for about 6 minutes, then it caught a huge caterpillar and disappeared.

Location was near this area:

--
Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

--
Ryan Winkleman
Rancho Santa Margarita

Jeff Bray

Below is a link to more photos of this bird in a google album.
General consensus from those that have gotten back to me seem to think this bird fits Cassin's Vireo over Blue-headed. It was an interesting study nonetheless.
As far as I know, the bird has not be relocated today...

Cheers,
Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 10:03 AM Jeff Bray <jbray4913@...> wrote:
We had an interesting vireo at HCP this morning. Ebird list below with a few small photos (I’ll add higher res later) Looking on the Blue-headed side...  open to opinions. It was last seen on the west end of the “island” area. It was silent. Observed for about 6 minutes, then it caught a huge caterpillar and disappeared.

Location was near this area:

--
Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

tgmiko@gmail.com

I--and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that many others would also--be interested in why this bird is considered to be Cassin's, and not blue headed.

Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont, LA County
909.241.3300
"Nobody knows what it is, which is what makes it cool." --The Industrial Design Guy

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 2:27 PM Jeff Bray <jbray4913@...> wrote:
[...]

too fly

I say Cassin’s over Blue-headed due to fact the spectacles and Malar strip do not have a clean distinction as is present even on the dullest Blue-headed. And this bird had good color, so it should be prevalent.

Anthony “TooFly” Fife
La Mesa, Ca
“Let your light shine”