Topics

**Update to CBC Rarities Tour - Stops and times added

Jeff Bray

**We added three stops to the tour tomorrow. This will likely take us through the late afternoon. You're not obligated to stay the whole time, but please make sure you're aware of that when making carpooling arrangements.

This year's CBC Rarities Tour is a bit all over the place. There weren't a ton of amazing rarities, but our "tour" on Saturday will hopefully get us to most of them. We are not planning on stopping at the cemetery in Huntington Beach for the Pine Warbler, out of respect for anyone that might be there, as a large group of birders would be disruptive to them.

Please see below for the schedule for this coming Saturday. Bruce Aird and myself will be the leaders for this trip. We encourage you to carpool if you can, to lessen the stress of parking at certain locations. A complete list of CBC species is still being gathered and hopefully a full list will be made available at some point.

** If you're going to be late, or need help getting to a location, please reach out to myself or Bruce at the contact info below.

Jeff Bray:
714-865-0761

Bruce Aird:
949-892-8699

7:00am meet at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary.

We will bird the area around the parking lot while we wait for folks to arrive and arrange carpools.

Parking: https://goo.gl/maps/EvxfUboNCnPcLTNG8

1st stop: 7:30am - Bolsa Chica Wetlands (Mountain Plover, Gulls)

Park at the lot off of PCH. We’ll walk out to the main observation point and look for the plover and any gulls that might be there.

Parking: https://goo.gl/maps/yoxiXJDo4yCDndhj6

2nd stop: 8:30am - Carl Thornton Park (Snow Goose, Greater White-fronted Goose, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Gulls)

Park at the lot and we'll look around for the goose flock and browse the gull flock for Glaucous-winged and Herring Gulls

Parking: https://goo.gl/maps/yxCJJwXSCsrtS7HLA

3rd stop: 9:30am - Newport Back Bay (Tricolored Heron, Little Blue Heron)

We’ll stop first to look for the Tricolored Heron, which is usually around this location.

Tricolored Heron parking: https://goo.gl/maps/bojEQouYu7t9vmwy8

Much less reported, but still a possibility, the area around Big Canyon parking lot has had the Little Blue Heron in the last two weeks.

Little Blue Heron parking: https://goo.gl/maps/coCpj6UrVgT399Nc8

4th stop: 10:30am - North Lake - Irvine (Laughing Gull)

Park in the business parking lot and walk down the stairs to the lake. If the bird is there, it should be visible from this area.

Parking: https://goo.gl/maps/WyMHiWBA2MkV2qYL8

5th stop: 11:30am - The Great Park (Tropical Kingbird)

Park at the area linked below and walk towards the reflecting ponds and we’ll look/listen for the Tropical Kingbird. It’s not always there, but usually it’s quite vocal when it’s around.

Parking; https://goo.gl/maps/b4Pcw8R6Xqxtv9xZ9

LUNCH BREAK

6th stop: 1:00pm - La Paz Willows (Brown-crested Flycatcher)

We’ll park along the street or in the parking lot of the school and look for the bird in the creek and surrounding areas

Parking: https://goo.gl/maps/Do21LYoMWfVFBcK29

7th stop: 1:45pm - Aurora Park (Brown Thrasher)

Parking here is along the street. We’ll walk down into the park where the bird has been seen near a large pepper tree.

Parking: https://goo.gl/maps/3ZJ8CNpKKZJf8cVK6

Last stop: 3:00pm - Irvine Lake (Eastern Phoebe, Bald Eagle)

Parking is $5 if you do not have an OC Parks Pass (try to arrange carpool with someone that has a pass)

It's a short walk from the parking area to see the Eastern Phoebe. The Bald Eagles are a little bit more of a walk, but can be seen by scope.

Parking: https://goo.gl/maps/5rePEWZfAQG8LDp17

If anyone has any question, please feel free to reach out to me offline.

Cheers,

--
Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

tgmiko@gmail.com

When you guys arrive at Irvine lake tomorrow keep your eyes on both sides of Santiago Canyon Road, 200 yards east (south) of the lake entrance gate. Yesterday, Thursday afternoon when I was driving by there and all-dark "acorn woodpecker" crossed the road in front of me landing in trees on the east or South side of the road. I had bigger fish to fry, so I did not stop and photograph this bird.

Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont, LA County
909.241.3300
"The plan was so full of holes it made Swiss cheese looks solid."--Lee Child

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020, 3:47 PM Jeff Bray <jbray4913@...> wrote:
[...]

For those joining us for the afternoon stint, our schedule has moved up by 30 minutes. We’re meeting at the Brown-crested Flycatcher spot at 12:30p instead of 1pm. The other times will be 30 min earlier now too. Reflected in the schedule below.

Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 3:47 PM Jeff Bray via Groups.Io <jbray4913=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

6th stop: 12:30pm - La Paz Willows (Brown-crested Flycatcher)

We’ll park along the street or in the parking lot of the school and look for the bird in the creek and surrounding areas

Parking: https://goo.gl/maps/Do21LYoMWfVFBcK29

7th stop: 1:15pm - Aurora Park (Brown Thrasher)

Parking here is along the street. We’ll walk down into the park where the bird has been seen near a large pepper tree.

Parking: https://goo.gl/maps/3ZJ8CNpKKZJf8cVK6

Last stop: 2:30pm - Irvine Lake (Eastern Phoebe, Bald Eagle)