Topics

Sea & Sage Audubon pelagic trip, Sep 29

Tom Benson

Today, Sep 29, Sea & Sage Audubon held its annual fall pelagic trip aboard the Ocean Institute's R/V Sea Explorer. From Dana Point, we visited Crespi Knoll, Lausen Sea Mount, and points in between. It was extremely slow out at sea with very few birds encountered overall. Highlights were a well-seen pair of Craveri's Murrelets about halfway out to Crespi Knoll and an adult Long-tailed Jaeger at the east end of Lausen Sea Mount. Other pelagics encountered included dozens of Common Terns and Black-vented Shearwaters, a dozen Pink-footed Shearwaters, a single Sooty Shearwater, two Black Storm-Petrels (Lausen Sea Mount), multiple Red-necked Phalaropes, and several unidentified jaegers. In the harbor we had two Yellow-crowned Night-Herons and five or six Black Oystercatchers.

Tom Benson
San Bernardino, CA