Topics

Pacific Golden-Plover at Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach

Ron Grabyan

There have been a significant number of Pacific Golden-Plover sightings reported on eBird at this location over the last two weeks, which I thought was restricted access.  Is it possible to get in to the bird location tomorrow—Friday?  What kind of access is required, and can one apply for it—similar to Piute Ponds near Lancaster?

Any instructions to the location and/or instructions on access would be appreciated—thank you!!!!
Ron Grabyan
Irvine, California

Jeff Bray

Ron, these birds at Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach have been seen on various field trips that were prearranged through different audubon chapters that have arranged access through personnel at the military installation.

The base used to offer public tours once a month through "friends of bolsa chica" but that website is no longer up, as far as I can tell.

The Sea and Sage Audubon (our local chapter) trip is planned for Friday, February 21st, but it is currently full.

Cheers,

Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

--
Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

Bob Schallmann

Good Morning Ron,

I am the Navy Ecologist here at Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach.

As Jeff noted, access is extremely limited due to our military mission. I know that can be frustrating when an interesting or rare bird is noted here. That said, there are some opportunities to visit the installation in partnership with the co-located Seal Beach National Wildlife Refuge.

In addition to the specialty birding tours Jeff mentioned, there are monthly tours with the Friends group on the last Saturday of each month. While not exclusively a “bird tour”, there are obviously birds seen. To reserve a spot on these popular tours (e.g. January trip is booked), contact the SBNWR at 562-598-1024.

There are also additional volunteer opportunities on occasion. A good example is a native plant restoration project that is scheduled for Saturday, February 22nd from 0800-1200. We’ll be planting over 1,300 native plants in an area that had previously been choked by invasive weeds. If you are interested, contact the refuge at 562-598-1024.

Hope to see you out here at one of these events!

All the best,

Bob Schallmann
Long Beach, CA

vicleipzig

To add just a little to Bob Schallmann's great clarification, the full name of the Friends group at Seal Beach is the "Friends of Seal Beach National Wildlife Refuge."  And they do have an active website.  At Bolsa Chica a few miles away, there are three very active support groups (and at least two extinct ones) but none have used the title "Friends of Bolsa Chica," explaining why there is no website under that name.

Vic Leipzig
Huntington Beach

[...]

Vic, The site I was referring to was linked on this page at the top under “monthly tours”.

And you’re right, it was friends of the seal beach nwr, not Bolsa Chica, anyway, the link on that page goes to http://friendsofsealbeach.org/ which is no longer working.

Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 7:25 PM vicleipzig via Groups.Io <vicleipzig=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Carolyn Vance

the correct URL for the Friends of Seal Beach NWR is:  http://www.sealbeachnwrfriends.org

The correct link is on the Fish & Wildlife page for Seal Beach.

Carolyn Vance
Los Alamitos
Chair, Friends of Seal Beach NWR &
USFWS Volunteer, Seal Beach NWR

On Thursday, January 16, 2020, 07:30:16 PM PST, Jeff Bray <jbray4913@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Carolyn.  Thank you, Jeff.  Thank you, Bob.  I think we finally got this figured out!

Victor Leipzig
Huntington Beach

[...]

Thanks, Bob!  Very helpful.  I appreciate you responding.  I am not surprised by your answer, but I thought it would be worth investigating.
Ron Grabyan

,
Ron Grabyan

On Jan 16, 2020, at 10:09 AM, Bob Schallmann <bob_schallmann@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks to everyone for detailing access to the Seal Beach Naval station. I will try an upcoming trip—will probably miss the Pacific Golden-Plover, but maybe it will find a more accessible spot next time!!!!

Sent from my iPhone,
Ron Grabyan