Topics

Much thanks to many!!

Bettina Eastman

Happy New Year to everyone!

I think I can safely speak for the other CBC Circle Compilers and myself when I give my sincere thanks to all those who volunteered their hours of time and effort to help with any one of the three Christmas Bird Counts in Orange County, many of which who spent countless hours helping with all three.

Now that we’ve all heard that North America has lost over 3 billion birds since the 1970’s, one third of the population, these counts are more important than ever.

Yet, every year we find it harder and harder to get enough volunteers with birding experience to help us with these counts. And, although we truly appreciate and are grateful for the help and enthusiasm of new birders on the scene. The fact still remains that our goal on Count day is to identify each bird to species, something that requires birding experience to achieve. So, not always having enough volunteers with bird identification experience makes these efforts challenging, year after year. However, some volunteers have devoted decades to these efforts.

The upcoming rarities field trip on Saturday was originally scheduled, back in the day, so that those folks who had spent their day volunteering to count birds in other parts of the Count circle would have the opportunity, come the weekend, to go out and see the rare birds that they had missed because they were elsewhere within the circle diligently counting every bird, common or not.

Now, the rarities trip has become very popular with many birders and often hosts 30 or 40 or kore people. We don’t make this an exclusive field trip, and everyone is welcomed to attend, even those folks who don’t seem to find time once, twice or even three times a year to give back to the birds and help us understand more about their wellbeing by counting them for the CBC.

So, while we are waiting for these volunteers who have given of their time to count, gather and compile all the date, perhaps we can be patient. And, understanding, knowing that the entire CBC is based on the efforts of volunteers to do the job that so many don’t seem to be interested in doing.

Maybe next year, we will be able to increase our volunteer base making it easier to get the job done so that the tally’s can be reported to the masses more quickly.

Thanks again to all of those folks who came out to help us again this year, and for the first time!! And, perhaps we’ll see more of you all around Christmas time at the end of this new year.

Bird Every Moment!

Bettina Eastman,
Coastal CBC Compiler
Huntington Beach

Trish G

Dear OC CBC compilers,

I think I can safely speak for those who DO come out to count, it would be great if you could start taking a few moments and start sharing info on the counts with the group.

Is there any information available you can share about the results of the 3 CBC counts in Orange County?
Info that is usually shared in other county groups includes how well we did this year compared to last.
How many volunteers came out to count?
How many total species were tallied?
Also included would be noticeable highlights, as well as noticeable misses.
Anything else of interest would also be welcomed.

Just a thought, but it might provide a while new level of interest and excitement for folks to come out and participate, if they knew why they were counting birds.

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 5:13 PM Bettina Eastman <phenobee24@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes, the CBC compilers do understand the desire for this type of information to be shared with the group. However, it may be many people’s misunderstanding as to the time-frame in which this is possible.

The effort put forth in these Count circles is possibly hundreds of people. Area Leaders who have just a portion of the circle must gather volunteers, interview them, place them with a group of individuals going out into the field, and then, direct them to an area to count on Count day. The count is very often tallied using paper and pencil. Then, the data from each individual group in the field must be transferred to a “like” document so that the Area Leaders can tally All the data together from all of their groups, many times, they may have 10 or 12 groups in the field, maybe more. Once this data is gathered and compiled by each of the Area Leaders it is given to the Circle compiler so that they can compile all the data from each of the Area Leaders, again, 10-12 of these areas, and again, mostly by hand.

i have been working together with the other compilers in the last two years since taking over the Coastal Circle to help stream-line some of the process by updating the tally sheets and making them available electronically. But, these are “works in progress” and also take time to implement.

The Coastal Circle was just this past Sunday. And, we had the New Years Holiday in between. So, it’s only been a few days ago. And despite this, my Area Leaders have been making huge efforts to get me their compiled data as quickly as possible. And yet, I have still not heard from all of them.

If you’d have heard the sincere concern and desire in the emails I have received from them to complete these tasks as quickly as possible, I think you would understand why I’ve wanted to publicly thank them for their monumental efforts. Under the pressure of perhaps not having done it fast enough for some.

So again, as we work together towards streamlining the process even further, won’t you please exercise patience. It is certainly not anyone’s desire to withhold information from the group. We are simply asking for the time it takes to get the job done. And, to remember that it can’t be done without many, many volunteers’s time and great efforts!!

Happy New Year!!

Bettina Eastman
Coastal CBC Compiler
Huntington Beach

Tom Benson

Bettina,

I am certain that everyone appreciates the efforts that you and the other CBC compilers put in to make these counts so successful. The count that I coordinate only has 20-25 participants, so I can't imagine the effort required to organize what is likely 100 or more participants. And I don't think anyone expects the CBC compilers to provide complete and accurate information the day after the count. But my understanding is that there is a compilation dinner the evening of the count where the preliminary results are tallied. And I think many in the birding community (including those participants who can't make the dinner) would appreciate a brief report or summary within a couple days of each count, that provides a preliminary tally and the known highlights from the effort, along with an approximate number of participants. This type of summary is certainly possible in a short time frame, and in my opinion would be a better approach than waiting several weeks to publish a complete report of the CBC effort.

Tom Benson
San Bernadino, CA

[...]

James Pike

Very well stated, Tom. While we all appreciate the mammoth task Bettina has taken on in organizing these counts and tabulating the results, a simple note posted to the birding group regarding the results in the immediate aftermath of the event would be greatly appreciated. In past years, someone would be assigned to track the species tally during the post-count gathering so that an unofficial total was known by meeting's end. Similarly, someone took notes of what new rarities were discovered on the count, what rarities were refound, and what rarities were missed. It was considered noteworthy to quickly share the latter information with the group so that these birds could subsequently be looked for during 'count week.' This doesn't have to be a big deal. Recognizing how busy Bettina is during this time frame, perhaps someone else could volunteer to post this very basic summary with the group.

Jim Pike
HB

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 8:39 AM Tom Benson via Groups.Io <thomasabenson=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks again for your input and understanding. Even at the compilation dinner not all areas or groups are reporting, so, the data is tentative and incomplete.

Yet, I don’t want to continue with this public discussion. And, I certainly have a tremendous amount on my plate.

Darrell, Doug and I have already discussed these things and will continue to come up with better and better solutions. And, in an effort to do exactly what you suggest, I did type up just such a document at the Inland compilation dinner for Doug Lithgow, unfortunately, the file was corrupted and all data lost before I even left the building. Yikes!! I did not have the same time for the Coastal dinner.

So, everyone’s concern is dually noted and we will be meeting about these things very soon.

As for my Christmas Bird Count data, I will be processing as much as soon as possible and will report it to the group.

Sadly, in the past several years we have not found many new birds that were not already known. Either this is because the “rares” are no longer surviving the trip. Or, because we are already out there finding them.

Thanks again for your patience and I will post some data to the group first chance I get. But, please let’s end this discussion now.

Bettina Eastman
Coastal CBC Compiler
Huntington Beach

Ed Stonick

Hi Bettina!

Those are good thoughts, I feel your pain, but there are now so many CBCs squeezed into just a few days, and we’re all getting older and less capable of several full-day marathons. I’ve helped with some of the OC counts in the past, but it has involved a few hours of driving and getting up very early just to reach the coverage areas. I sincerely hope you can find more qualified folks to help.

Ed

Ed Stonick

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Thanks Ed,

It was my desire when I wrote the first message to thank folks like yourself that have dedicated your time and effort to make these counts possible. And, to help others know just how difficult it is Year after year for us to get the help we need with some folks aging out.

I also hoped that explaining the enormous effort By Everyone (not just me) would help people understand that we understand what is being said. And, that we are addressing the desires of folks. But also, that Some (not all) of the requests are just not as “simple” as some might hope..

And, I was hoping to refocus things to the efforts of the people who are doing a great job of helping out. rather than passing judgment.

Regardless, please, let’s drop this for now as I have far too much to accomplish in a few short days and have many other Volunteer responsibilities on my plate.

If anyone else has any other questions or suggestions, please feel free to email me at my gmail address which can be found on the CBC page of the Sea and Sage website.

Bird Every Moment,

Bettina Eastman
Huntington Beach