Topics

Lapland Longspur & Rock Wren

Roger Schoedl

I took an afternoon walk along the Santa Ana River, through Talbert Regional Park, and then around Fairview Park.

A ROCK WREN was working the riprap on the east side of the river just north of the pedestrian bridge between LeBard Park and Talbert Park.

Remarkably I found a LAPLAND LONGSPUR on the upper mesa not far from where the Chestnut-collared Longspur was seen last month. The bird is in alternate plumage but unfortunately was deceased.

The underparts were in somewhat ratty and damaged condition but the upperparts though worn made it identifiable at first sight.  The corpse was dessicated and light in weight indicating it has been laying there at least several days. The color on the bird is bright and shows no bleaching. The feathers are slightly matted but that may be due to repeated exposure to morning dew. My guess is it arrived in September or early October before perishing. Like the Chestnut-collared it is remarkably early for a longspur.

I retrieved the body and took it home. If anyone would like it as a specimen please contact me off list. I'll post some photos of it later.

Roger Schoedl
Huntington Beach

Roger Schoedl

I put photos of the Lapland Longspur into an eBird checklist:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60599151

Roger Schoedl
Huntington Beach