Topics

Kinglet and Costa's

Ryan Winkleman

I spent much of today birding different areas around my 5MR circle.

A Golden-crowned Kinglet first found by Shirley Reynolds at El Toro Memorial Park in Lake Forest on December 13, 2019 continued today in the northeastern portion of the cemetery. I found the bird in the trees on the hillside above (immediately south of) the maintenance yard area. The bird was very mobile and very difficult to get solid looks at, but called pretty regularly to at least let me know generally where it was as I tried to track it.

Elsewhere on the opposite side of Rancho Santa Margarita from where I live, I found a wintering female Costa's Hummingbird in a mixture of coastal sage scrub and ornamental vegetation right on the border of Coto de Caza.

I hit up a couple local reservoirs near my house today but did not find anything unusual or unexpected on the water.

--
Ryan Winkleman
Rancho Santa Margarita