Topics

Highlights of Oct. 18 Harriett Wieder Park Monthly Survey

Terry Hill

The TOP highlight of the Oct. 18 monthly survey at Harriett Wieder Park was a LEWIS’ WOODPECKER (!!!) that flew over being chased by a crow.   We divide the park into four areas, and the Woodpecker was seen by two different groups--first by Dave & Sharon Telford in the area to the north of the playground, then by Darrell Wilson and Sheila Harlow in the next (and last) group before you get to Edwards.  Both groups felt that’s what it was but didn’t know another group had also seen it until they came back for the tally.  All of them saw the all black back and rosy breast, and Sheila noticed white on the back of the neck.  It appeared to be headed toward Huntington Central Park.  In addition to the woodpecker, we had a lot of hawks today, including a Merlin, 2 Peregrine Falcons, 3 White-tailed Kites, Cooper’s Hawks, Red-tailed Hawks, Red-shouldered Hawk, and Northern Harriers.  We also heard 2 Virginia’s Rails and 2 Soras, and saw one Least Bittern, 1 California Thrasher (and heard it calling loudly), 2 Red-necked Phalaropes, and numerous shorebirds, including 83 Black-bellied Plovers, 64 Semipalmated Plovers, and 64 Dunlin.
--
Terry Hill
Huntington Beach