Topics

Highlights from the San Joaquin Marsh walk - 8 DEC

Jeff Bray

We had about 10 folks that showed up this morning and braved the rain chances. Species count was around 76. Not bad considering the weather. We all got a little wet to start off, but overall it was a pleasant morning of birding. Typical fall/winter species around. Some highlights included a continuing adult male Vermilion Flycatcher along the edge of Pond 1. A Virginia Rail was calling from Pond 1. A few "Myrtle" Yellow-rumped Warblers were around Pond 1 as well. We all got to witness a Cassin's Kingbird work down a large dragonfly (Common Green Darner). A male and female Hooded Merganser were at the footbridge as well as a Least Bittern that showed up for a few to see before it quickly vanished back into the vast darkness...

Checklist below with the species and a few photos of the Cassin's Kingbird enjoying the dragonfly!

Cheers!

--
Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA