Topics

Chestnut-collared Longspur - Fairview Park

Ryan Winkleman

James Bailey found a Chestnut-collared Longspur at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa this morning. Photos check out. The bird was primarily wandering the trails in the mustard forest west of the parking lot off Placentia Avenue. Jeff may have refound the bird a few minutes ago (based on hearing calls) on trails southwest of the airstrip.

Note that there are vernal pools around there. These are sensitive habitats that often host protected plants and animals. They are fenced, but please DO NOT trespass onto them.

--
Ryan Winkleman
Rancho Santa Margarita

Ryan Winkleman

The Fairview Park longspur has not been refound yet since Jeff heard it. Jeff did find a Green-tailed Towhee at approximately 33.665073, -117.941967, and Robert McNab found a Bank Swallow flying around with Barn Swallows.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019, 11:02 AM Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman@...> wrote:
James Bailey found a Chestnut-collared Longspur at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa this morning. Photos check out. The bird was primarily wandering the trails in the mustard forest west of the parking lot off Placentia Avenue. Jeff may have refound the bird a few minutes ago (based on hearing calls) on trails southwest of the airstrip.

Note that there are vernal pools around there. These are sensitive habitats that often host protected plants and animals. They are fenced, but please DO NOT trespass onto them.

--
Ryan Winkleman
Rancho Santa Margarita

Devon Bradley

The Chestnut-collared Longspurs was refound at Fairview. Thanks to Robert McNabb for pointing me in its direction. It is currently at this location: (33.6623208,-117.9409076), appearing to prefer the shady spots under the tarplant just off the narrow trail.

-Devon Bradley
Costa Mesa, CA

On Saturday, September 14, 2019, 12:22 PM, Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeff Bray

Bird was still around this evening

Was able to observe for some time, as it was foraging along the trail near GPS: 33.662289, -117.941038  Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/ouHky6LtxxcSkNxe7

eBird list here with some photos of the bird:

Nice find James.

Cheers,
Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 11:03 AM Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman@...> wrote:
James Bailey found a Chestnut-collared Longspur at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa this morning. Photos check out. The bird was primarily wandering the trails in the mustard forest west of the parking lot off Placentia Avenue. Jeff may have refound the bird a few minutes ago (based on hearing calls) on trails southwest of the airstrip.

Note that there are vernal pools around there. These are sensitive habitats that often host protected plants and animals. They are fenced, but please DO NOT trespass onto them.

--
Ryan Winkleman
Rancho Santa Margarita

--
Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

Liga Auzins

Birders,

Chestnut-collared Longspur continues in Fairview Park on Sunday morning. Foraging along trails thru tall mustard. Flighty at times. Mostly on first and second trails south of Jeff’s pin drop location from late yesterday afternoon. Walk the trails slowly. It allows close approach up to a point.

Tom Wurster and Liga Auzins Wurster

On Sep 14, 2019, at 8:01 PM, Jeff Bray <jbray4913@...> wrote:

[...]

AOL

Longspur is still here at 10:19 am! Several birders are here and on it. On third trail south of Jeff’s original GPS coordinates.

Martin Fee
North Tustin, CA

On Sep 15, 2019, at 7:57 AM, Liga Auzins via Groups.Io <llauzins@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Sanders

Continuing now at 1110 on narrow trail, several birders on it here
33.66190,-117.94182

Mike Sanders
Trabuco Cyn

On Sep 15, 2019, at 10:21, AOL via Groups.Io <mfee@...> wrote:

[...]

Trabuco Canyon

Trish G

Bird cont.
Here
33.661784,-117.941325

Seen by Pete Gordon, Jim Zenor and myself

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019, 11:13 AM Mike Sanders via Groups.Io <msanders414=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Ron Grabyan

After 3 frustrating hours this afternoon, our bird was “ready-found” about 6:00 pm (Sunday) on a path just east of the vernal pond area and closer yo the parking lot than the previous sightings

Tom had found it at (33.6615483, -117.9410025). There were 5 of us who had spread out searching the various paths. We all were able to capture nice photos.....thanks to all who assisted with location info today!
Ron Grabyan

Sent from my iPhone,
Ron Grabyan

Trish G

For anyone trying for this bird again, just a few comments on my own experience.
The tall dead mustard forest is pretty intimidating. Small narrow trails zig and zag around, west of the parking lot and main park area. My first impression was not even knowing where to find the trail when I first arrived yesterday afternoon. I followed the last reported GPS, and finally found the "intersection" of GPS. No bird, and no birders were present.
Shortly after, I ran into Jim and then Pete arrived. We broke up exchanging phone numbers in case someone spied the bird. Jim found it and called for me, as I was close, then I phoned Pete to come join us.
The bird was located on the trail in an area that I had passed at least a couple times.
Suggestion is to just wander the area slowly and look down on the trail. Bird was shuffling slowly. It was also very hot while I was there, and the bird was panting, and so was I.
I linked a little image with a squiggly line of the area with a line showing the birds travels, from north to south. It certainly could change direction, but would suggest slowly checking paths in the area.
Look on the ground. Walk slowly.

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 6:45 PM Ron Grabyan <rgrabyan@...> wrote:
After 3 frustrating hours this afternoon, our bird was “ready-found” about 6:00 pm (Sunday) on a path just east of the vernal pond area and closer yo the parking lot than the previous sightings

Tom  had found it at (33.6615483, -117.9410025).  There were 5 of us who had spread out searching the various paths. We all were able to capture nice photos.....thanks to all who assisted with location info today!
Ron Grabyan

,
Ron Grabyan

Ryan Winkleman

The Chestnut-collared Longspur continues at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa right now at 33.6614811, -117.9411731.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019, 7:01 AM Trish G <trishrg62@...> wrote:
[...]

Trish Gussler, Anaheim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/trishrg/

--