Topics

Cedar Waxwings

kk6t

I hope this is OK to post, excuse me if it's not.

I'd love to photograph some Cedar Waxwings and have been to SJM several times but without luck.  Is anyone seeing them at SJM or elsewhere and if so, where.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Terry

Ben Newhouse

I saw some cedar waxwings at Rush Park In Rossmoor early in the month. I haven’t been at that location since, but they may still be there. It’s not the county’s most amazing birding location, but there’s a decent grouping of trees in the southwest corner that seems to host some birds. And there were cedar waxwings there recently. The below eBird list I put up has one pic and location info.

On Jan 18, 2020, at 6:27 PM, kk6t <terry@...> wrote:

I hope this is OK to post, excuse me if it's not.

I'd love to photograph some Cedar Waxwings and have been to SJM several times but without luck.  Is anyone seeing them at SJM or elsewhere and if so, where.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Terry

Ben Newhouse

Sorry...  Forgot to sign that last post.  This is Ben Newhouse, Seal Beach.  :)

I saw some cedar waxwings at Rush Park in Rossmoor early in the month. I haven’t been at that location since, but they may still be there. It’s not the county’s most amazing birding location, but there’s a decent grouping of trees in the southwest corner that seems to host some birds. And there were cedar waxwings there recently. The below eBird list I put up has one pic and location info.

Ben
Seal Beach

https://ebird.org/checklist/S62928482

On Jan 18, 2020, at 6:27 PM, kk6t <terry@...> wrote:

I hope this is OK to post, excuse me if it's not.

I'd love to photograph some Cedar Waxwings and have been to SJM several times but without luck.  Is anyone seeing them at SJM or elsewhere and if so, where.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Terry

Ryan Winkleman

Terry,

Cedar Waxwings are widespread throughout Orange County in winter, although this can vary from year to year (this year seems to be on the lower end for abundance). They can typically be found where there are fruiting trees and shrubs. Doesn't matter if it's natural habitat, a manicured park, or even a business park. They like fruiting trees and shrubs, and they like to sit up in tall trees (I see them in sycamores most frequently, I think).

The problem is that if you've got some search image and you're just going around trying to find them sitting in the open, it's really freaking hard. They can move around in huge flocks, but they love to land in trees and blend in with foliage and then many times just sit there motionless forever. What's probably easiest is to learn their vocalizations, if you haven't already (note that they can at times sound somewhat like European Starlings). Greater than 9 times out of 10 I find Cedar Waxwings because I hear them first, either flying overhead or sitting in vegetation. I would suggest learning what they sound like first, and then you may find them a lot easier. You can review the map in eBird for recent sightings but with waxwings I often just find them when I'm not even trying, because I hear them in the area.

--
Ryan Winkleman
Rancho Santa Margarita

In past years, I’ve seen flocks of them on the CSUF campus, most often north of the library. Haven’t been up there this year.

We also get them in Mission Viejo parks, but never consistently.

-Bob Allen
Author, Wildflowers of Orange County and the Santa Ana Mountains

XsMAX

On Jan 18, 2020, at 7:18 PM, Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Kory

Hi Terry,
I saw them a week or so ago at SJM in the trees to the right of the Audubon house/gift shop.
As far as learning their song, I don’t know your age, but hopefully your hearing is better than mine. I no longer can hear their high pitched calls. I see a flock and know they must be making noise, but can’t hear a thing. I can hear most all bird calls (I think!?) but not them.

I have also seen them at Sheep Hills Park in Aliso Viejo, but not for a couple weeks.
Good luck!

Mike Kory
Charleston, IL
(but visiting in Laguna Hills for a couple months)