From: OrangeCountyBirding@groups.io <OrangeCountyBirding@groups.io> on behalf of Trish G <trishrg62@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2019 7:42:16 AM
To: Orangecountybirding@groups.io <OrangeCountyBirding@groups.io>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Black Tern Bolsa Chica

The Black tern found about a week ago at bolsa chica continued this morning. Sandy Remley and I found it floating over the pocket pond down below the bright water trail. It flew over the channel and landed on a sandbar in the full title basin so it's still around.

--

Trish Gussler, Anaheim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/trishrg/

--
Rick Shearer
HB

Ron Grabyan

The Black Tern was continuing to fly over the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve Pocket Pond Monday afternoon from 3:00 to 5:00 pm. (Location: 33.705975, -118.048789).

There were many Forester Terns following the same behavior. Distinguished by black area behind the eye and continuing over its crown. Also, a small black smudge in front of its eye and slightly under,  the eye itself is visible with white around top, bottom, and back. There is a brown smudge/patch on the breast side near the wing.  Both upper and under wings are gray. It has a black beak. It is probably non-breeding, possibly JV.  Easily distinguished from the Forester Terns.

Photos: