Topics

Black Scoter today

Rick Shearer

Hi OC Birders, just before 10 a.m. today, MLK Day, I spotted the reported Black Scoter to the left of the pier as I was walking out.  There were 4 Surf Scoters closer to the surfline, beyond the surfers.  The BLSC was all by himself about equal with the restaurant at the end of the pier, but about 100 yards to the south.  You could tell it was he because of the yellow bill, noticeable even from a distance.  To my surprise the bird started swimming towards the pier until it went under the pier somewhere between the restaurant and the restrooms at the middle of the pier.  I was there with my camera and got numerous pictures of it, like this one on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/tiorickshearer/49415880608/in/dateposted/.
I waited for the bird to come out on the other side of the pier but it never did.  I think I saw it swim back out on the left side as I was returning to PCH, but it kept its back to me so I'm not 100% positive.

Rick Shearer
HB

--
Rick Shearer