From: OrangeCountyBirding@groups.io <OrangeCountyBirding@groups.io> on behalf of Alex Tolkachev <atolkachev@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:27:07 PM
To: Orangecountybirding
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Painted Lady butterfly migration

I have been watching thousand of butterflies flying through Aliso Viejo in roughly North-Westerly direction today. Turns out they are Painted Lady, smaller cousin of Monarch, and there has been a news story on them. A “billion” butterflies are expected to migrate through SoCal on the way from Mexico to their breeding areas in Oregon.

I wonder which birds and at what hotspots are getting excited about this. Not that I don’t wish the butterflies a safe journey en masse, but it would be nice to see and photograph a frenzied hunt.

--
Alex Tolkachev, Irvine

--

Pete Gordon
Foothill Ranch, CA

I hope that wasn’t from a news outlet, since it’s erroneous. Sadly typical for most news outlets.

Painted lady butterfly adults are coming from the deserts, where they spent their immature stages eating native plants (mostly borages), pupating, and recently eclosed. They are emigrating (=exiting) from the desert; they do not migrate (migration includes a return trip).

I just returned from 3 days in Anza Borrego where they are in huge numbers. Many painted ladies along the way through Irvine to Orange today.

I’ve never seen birds eating them but I don’t doubt that they do. Saw many good birds in Anza Borrego but none on the painted ladies.

-Bob Allen
Mission Viejo, CA
Author, Wildflowers of Orange County and the Santa Ana Mountains
XsMAX

On Mar 12, 2019, at 12:27 PM, Alex Tolkachev <atolkachev@...> wrote:

I have been watching thousand of butterflies flying through Aliso Viejo in roughly North-Westerly direction today. Turns out they are Painted Lady, smaller cousin of Monarch, and there has been a news story on them. A “billion” butterflies are expected to migrate through SoCal on the way from Mexico to their breeding areas in Oregon.

I wonder which birds and at what hotspots are getting excited about this. Not that I don’t wish the butterflies a safe journey en masse, but it would be nice to see and photograph a frenzied hunt.

--
Alex Tolkachev, Irvine

Debbie Hanson

They're coming through my yard in Yorba Linda!

Debbie Hanson
Yorba Linda

tgmiko@gmail.com

1. I have seen Black Phoebes catching and eating them.
2. KPCC had a short report (I can't remember if it was only a local report or on the national NPR broadcast, but they said that the Painted Ladies are flying up from Mexico because there are too many of them for the local plant life to support (I was driving and only half paying attention). Regardless, this large movement/migration appears to be cyclical, but not annual. Maybe based on prime numbers, like cicada populations (because they only become visible--therefore edible every few years, no predators can base their diet or life cycle on cicadas)...
Tom Miko
Chattanooga, Hamilton County TN
909.241.3300

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019, 3:45 PM bugbob via Groups.Io <bugbob=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Craig Hoover

Costa Mesa too!  I stopped by the Muth Interpretive Center moments ago but the attendant couldn't speak to what was going on.  Thank you!

Craig Hoover
Costa Mesa CA

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 12:27 PM Alex Tolkachev <atolkachev@...> wrote:
I have been watching thousand of butterflies flying through Aliso Viejo in roughly North-Westerly direction today. Turns out they are Painted Lady, smaller cousin of Monarch, and there has been a news story on them. A “billion” butterflies are expected to migrate through SoCal on the way from Mexico to their breeding areas in Oregon.

I wonder which birds and at what hotspots are getting excited about this. Not that I don’t wish the butterflies a safe journey en masse, but it would be nice to see and photograph a frenzied hunt.

--
Alex Tolkachev, Irvine

--
Craig Hoover
Costa Mesa, CA

Ed Stonick

Hi Tom!

John O. and I birded Hahamongna, which was SO depressing! They've DESTROYED it! Then we tried (futilly) for the Zone-tail. They were HUNDREDS of Painted Ladies at both places.

Ed

[...]

Ryan Winkleman

All,

While this is definitely a cool event currently taking place, Jeff and I have decided to close this thread as it was only ever thinly related to Orange County birding in the first place, and now has no real relation to it. Please keep in mind that as stated on the homepage, threads on this listserv should be about birding or birds in Orange County.

Thanks for your understanding.

--
Ryan Winkleman
Rancho Santa Margarita