Topics

An OC migration calendar?

Alex Tolkachev

Would someone be able to write (or unearth) an article on getting the most out of the migration season(s) for new birders?

Things like must-see hotspots (I am guessing Upper Newport Bay will make the list, but perhaps every busy local hotspot will get its share of migrants), species to look for and expected times when they will be here -- to plan which to see first and which to save for later.

Also any tips on using existing resources, such as eBird or any blogs or sites that are active and dedicated to watching migrations in OC.

Thank you!
--
Alex Tolkachev, Irvine

Trude Hurd

Sea and Sage Audubon sells a book called “The Birds of Orange County:  Status and Distribution” by Robb Hamilton and Doug Willick.  It shows wonderful bar graphs for each bird species per month so you can see when birds arrive, depart, or are resident.  I highly recommend it for all birders.  You can then use eBird for more localized hotspot information.

Attending one of Sea and Sage Audubon’s birding field trips will give you access to some of the county’s best birders.  They will be happy to share information like this with beginners.  We are all learning, no matter how long we have been birding!  It’s such a wonderful hobby.

Trude Hurd

Project Director of Education

Sea and Sage Audubon Society

Would someone be able to write (or unearth) an article on getting the most out of the migration season(s) for new birders?

Things like must-see hotspots (I am guessing Upper Newport Bay will make the list, but perhaps every busy local hotspot will get its share of migrants), species to look for and expected times when they will be here -- to plan which to see first and which to save for later.

Also any tips on using existing resources, such as eBird or any blogs or sites that are active and dedicated to watching migrations in OC.

Thank you!
--
Alex Tolkachev, Irvine

Jim Elias

That's a terrific idea Alex! Thank you for representing us newbees!
For new birders or birder "enthusiasts," we often get lost in the world of acronyms and abbreviations for geographical locations.

Thank you,
Jim Elias
Dana Point

On Thursday, February 21, 2019, 9:53:12 AM PST, Alex Tolkachev <atolkachev@...> wrote:

Would someone be able to write (or unearth) an article on getting the most out of the migration season(s) for new birders?

Things like must-see hotspots (I am guessing Upper Newport Bay will make the list, but perhaps every busy local hotspot will get its share of migrants), species to look for and expected times when they will be here -- to plan which to see first and which to save for later.

Also any tips on using existing resources, such as eBird or any blogs or sites that are active and dedicated to watching migrations in OC.

Thank you!
--
Alex Tolkachev, Irvine

too fly

I’m actually working on a video series for something very similar to this! I’m starting in San Diego but expanding shortly there after. If anyone is interested in helping out, and doesn’t mind being on video...let me know! You qualify if: you are a top 10 birder at one of the top 10 eBird hot spots in Orange County, San Diego county, Los Angles County and Imperial Valley (This is just to start). I will consider the top 20 hotspots also.

Let me know! Shoot me an email.

Anthony “TooFly” Fife
La Mesa, Ca

Tooflyanthony@...

tgmiko@gmail.com

If you get a chance, tool around under "Explore" on eBird. It takes some clicking around, but you can select or narrow down what data you want to see. You can ask it to give you abundance bar graphs for all of the birds that occur in an area e.g. Orange County (or Los Angeles+ Orange+San Diego Counties). You can then use that data, combined with what birds you want to see to figure out where to be, on what dates. It's no guarantee, but your success rate will be very high.
Tom Miko Claremont LA County
909.241.3300