Re: Neotropic Cormorant

Jeff Bray

Photo of said Adult Neotropic Cormorant on Pond 1 island linked in the eBird list below. I searched high and low for the Red Phalarope, but it was nowhere to be found this evening.

Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 5:21 PM Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman@...> wrote:
Hey birders,

So the immature cormorant that Andy Lazere found in San Diego Creek the other day and that many people rushed over to see is still being considered as to its appropriate taxonomy. A panel of expert birders were consulted and there is disagreement on whether this should be considered a pure Neotropic Cormorant or a hybrid. Some of the salient field marks pointed out as an argument against a pure Neotropic Cormorant included the long bill length and the less-than-typical shape of the scapular feathers (i.e., they should be much more pointed than they were on that bird). The identification of this bird is still "up in the air."

However, Jeff Bray does have an adult Neotropic Cormorant sitting on the island in Pond 1 right now. I trust that nobody will be freaking swimming across the pond to get better looks at it.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 9:08 AM Andy Lazere <alazere1@...> wrote:
9:00 in San Diego Creek, halfway between Duck Club and Campus on Sand bar
--
Andy Lazere
Laguna Niguel

--