Sea & Sage pelagic trip, January 11

Tom Benson

Sea & Sage Audubon held its annual winter pelagic trip today, January 11, aboard the Ocean Institute's R/V Sea Explorer. We enjoyed nice weather all day, though the birds were relatively sparse. The clear highlight was a BULLER'S SHEARWATER approximately 5 km southwest of Reef Point (Crystal Cove SP) as we headed up the coast in the morning. A juvenile BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE was also notable, and provided great views as it flew around the stern of the boat or in the wake for an extended period. The kittiwake was seen this afternoon about half way between Lausen Sea Mount and Dana Point. Other pelagic birds encountered today included Black-vented Shearwater (moderate numbers), 3 Red Phalaropes, several Rhinoceros Auklets, a few Cassin's Auklets, and 3 Scripps's Murrelet. We also had two YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS on our return trip through the harbor, with a third seen by several after the trip.

Tom Benson
San Bernardino, CA