Re: Chestnut-collared Longspur - Fairview Park

Trish G

For anyone trying for this bird again, just a few comments on my own experience.
The tall dead mustard forest is pretty intimidating. Small narrow trails zig and zag around, west of the parking lot and main park area. My first impression was not even knowing where to find the trail when I first arrived yesterday afternoon. I followed the last reported GPS, and finally found the "intersection" of GPS. No bird, and no birders were present.
Shortly after, I ran into Jim and then Pete arrived. We broke up exchanging phone numbers in case someone spied the bird. Jim found it and called for me, as I was close, then I phoned Pete to come join us.
The bird was located on the trail in an area that I had passed at least a couple times.
Suggestion is to just wander the area slowly and look down on the trail. Bird was shuffling slowly. It was also very hot while I was there, and the bird was panting, and so was I.
I linked a little image with a squiggly line of the area with a line showing the birds travels, from north to south. It certainly could change direction, but would suggest slowly checking paths in the area.
Look on the ground. Walk slowly.

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 6:45 PM Ron Grabyan <rgrabyan@...> wrote:
After 3 frustrating hours this afternoon, our bird was “ready-found” about 6:00 pm (Sunday) on a path just east of the vernal pond area and closer yo the parking lot than the previous sightings

Tom  had found it at (33.6615483, -117.9410025).  There were 5 of us who had spread out searching the various paths. We all were able to capture nice photos.....thanks to all who assisted with location info today!
Ron Grabyan

,
Ron Grabyan