Re: Bird trap on Aliso and Wood Canyon Trail

Joe Morlan

Alex,

My photo of a similar trap and an explanation is at

https://flic.kr/p/rJCV2f

On Tue, 07 May 2019 16:26:06 -0700, "Alex Tolkachev" <atolkachev@...>
wrote:

There is a large bird trap operated, I assume, by OC Parks not far from the creek crossing where the dirt trail and paved trail originating at Awma Road and running on opposite sides of the creek meet. Today, it was inhabited by about six Brewer's Blackbirds (unless I am mistaken; I did take photos just in case). There is food and
water inside. I started reading the sign, but the birds were getting agitated by my proximity, so I only gave it a very cursory reading before stepping back. I gathered from the sign that the purpose of the trap is to help endangered species breed more successfully, that the trap is checked daily, and that the public is asked in
the strongest terms not to mess with it.

Does anyone know the details of this operation and can anyone explain to me what this trap is all about? I don't believe it is meant for blackbirds, they must have just chanced in. In fact, it is probably not targeted at any one bird? The rangers/ornithologists probably want to see who all get in and take it from there? Or maybe
it IS intended for blackbirds in the sense that they are the ones bothering the endangered species, and therefore need to be removed? They will be treated humanely, the sign says, but I don't know what that means. Euthanized humanely? Relocated? Banded, checked and released?

Next time I am there, if the trap is empty, I will read the sign fully. Until then, I am really curious about what others know and think about this trap. Are there many of these around?
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA