Re: Plumbeous Vireo — Bommer Canyon, Irvine, CA

Ron Grabyan

Hi, Jim,

While color (almost all gray) and eyes (strong spectacles) argue for Plumbeous Vireo, I will defer to your knowledge and experience with Least Bell’s Vireo.  Thanks so much, Ron Grabyan

,
Ron Grabyan

On Apr 19, 2019, at 5:33 PM, James Pike <jimpike444@...> wrote:

Hi Ron,

Among the reasons why this bird is a Least Bell's Vireo and not a Plumbeous are the long tail and relatively small bill. Also, from a behavioral standpoint, "flitting around the brush" perfectly fits Least, but not so much Plumbeous.

regards, Jim Pike
HB

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 3:43 PM Ron Grabyan <rgrabyan@...> wrote:
While searching for Grasshopper Sparrows, I stumbled across this Plumbeous Vireo on Shady Canyon Trail, 200 yards from the beginning of the Bommer Canyon Nature Trail (33 37’ 45.2” N, 117 48’ 21.6” W—enter these coordinates into GoogleMaps for the exact location).

The bird was flitting around the brush and low branches of a tree on the right side (northeast) of the trail.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/152140611
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/152140621