Highlights of March 15 Harriett Wieder Park Monthly Bird Count

Terry Hill

On the March 15 Harriett Wieder Park monthly bird count, I spotted a male Lawrence’s Goldfinch in among some Lesser & American Goldfinches, and the rest of my group (Lena Hayashi, Sheila Harlow, and 3 others) all got on it as well.  We ended up spotting a second male and one female as well.  I texted Brian Daniels to let him know, but he was working and indicated he had it on his list for HW.  It was an exciting find for us, though, and a new bird for Bolsa Chica for me.  We found them in the black willows on the Bolsa Chica side of Fisher’s Gulch, on the southwest side.  However, they did disappear after 5 or 10 minutes.  We also had one Sooty Fox Sparrow on the same side of the lower part of Fisher’s Gulch.  There was a lot of water in the Bolsa Chica cells, and many ducks, Avocets, and Stilts were present.  There were also thousands of the Painted Lady Butterflies flying by (a bit distracting when you’re trying to look for birds!).
--
Terry Hill
Huntington Beach