locked Re: >>>THREAD CLOSED<<< Painted Lady butterfly migration

Craig Hoover

Costa Mesa too!  I stopped by the Muth Interpretive Center moments ago but the attendant couldn't speak to what was going on.  Thank you!

Craig Hoover
Costa Mesa CA

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 12:27 PM Alex Tolkachev <atolkachev@...> wrote:
I have been watching thousand of butterflies flying through Aliso Viejo in roughly North-Westerly direction today. Turns out they are Painted Lady, smaller cousin of Monarch, and there has been a news story on them. A “billion” butterflies are expected to migrate through SoCal on the way from Mexico to their breeding areas in Oregon.

I wonder which birds and at what hotspots are getting excited about this. Not that I don’t wish the butterflies a safe journey en masse, but it would be nice to see and photograph a frenzied hunt.

--
Alex Tolkachev, Irvine

--
Craig Hoover