locked Re: >>>THREAD CLOSED<<< Painted Lady butterfly migration

Pete Gordon

They are everywhere.  Foothill Ranch and Lake Forest  this morning

From: OrangeCountyBirding@groups.io <OrangeCountyBirding@groups.io> on behalf of Alex Tolkachev <atolkachev@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:27:07 PM
To: Orangecountybirding
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Painted Lady butterfly migration

I have been watching thousand of butterflies flying through Aliso Viejo in roughly North-Westerly direction today. Turns out they are Painted Lady, smaller cousin of Monarch, and there has been a news story on them. A “billion” butterflies are expected to migrate through SoCal on the way from Mexico to their breeding areas in Oregon.

I wonder which birds and at what hotspots are getting excited about this. Not that I don’t wish the butterflies a safe journey en masse, but it would be nice to see and photograph a frenzied hunt.

--
Alex Tolkachev, Irvine

--

Pete Gordon