Re: Tagged White pelican

Gjon Hazard

Jim:

While I can relate to your sapped enthusiasm for reporting, consider the alternative. When the time comes, the decision maker will be making a decision regardless of whether he or she has data. By suppressing information, will that decision be better or worse? Who can say? Whether a given decision is "good or bad" will always be in the eye of the beholder, but it seems to me, an *informed* decision will, in such circumstances, always be preferable to an uninformed decision.

[And I say that fully aware of -- and, alas, all the more frustrated by -- our other recent communication.]

-Gjon

On Mar 4, 2019, at 10:37 AM, James Pike <jimpike444@...> wrote:

Hi Debbie,

The tags appear to be related to a long-term study being conducted at two breeding colonies by the Idaho Dept of Fish and Game. White Pelicans that had experienced increasing breeding success at those two colonies were beginning to have an impact on native trout numbers and those of other game fish that are especially prized by recreational fishermen in Idaho. As a consequence, management efforts were initiated that include hazing, egg and nest destruction, and depredation, along with a banding study to determine the overall effects of these actions. While I found it interesting to discover just how many pelicans were wintering in the region, learning the story behind the study sapped my interest in any further reporting of band numbers.

Jim Pike
HB

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 9:46 AM Debbie Hanson <alan_hanson@...> wrote:
Sorry.Emoji Here is the link to my flickr photo of the tagged pelican.

Debbie Hanson
Yorba Linda