Re: An OC migration calendar?

tgmiko@gmail.com

If you get a chance, tool around under "Explore" on eBird. It takes some clicking around, but you can select or narrow down what data you want to see. You can ask it to give you abundance bar graphs for all of the birds that occur in an area e.g. Orange County (or Los Angeles+ Orange+San Diego Counties). You can then use that data, combined with what birds you want to see to figure out where to be, on what dates. It's no guarantee, but your success rate will be very high.
Tom Miko Claremont LA County
909.241.3300

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019, 12:17 PM Jim Elias via Groups.Io <jeli64=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
That's a terrific idea Alex! Thank you for representing us newbees!
For new birders or birder "enthusiasts," we often get lost in the world of acronyms and abbreviations for geographical locations.

Thank you,
Jim Elias
Dana Point

On Thursday, February 21, 2019, 9:53:12 AM PST, Alex Tolkachev <atolkachev@...> wrote:

Would someone be able to write (or unearth) an article on getting the most out of the migration season(s) for new birders?

Things like must-see hotspots (I am guessing Upper Newport Bay will make the list, but perhaps every busy local hotspot will get its share of migrants), species to look for and expected times when they will be here -- to plan which to see first and which to save for later.

Also any tips on using existing resources, such as eBird or any blogs or sites that are active and dedicated to watching migrations in OC.

Thank you!
--
Alex Tolkachev, Irvine