Topics

Adding Lmod modules?

Mark Moorcroft

Is there an accepted practice/location for adding additional modules? Is it considered bad form to add them in /opt/ohpc, or is that exactly where you should be putting them?

Derek Simmel

At PSC, we typically put our own local modules into another location (say /opt/modulefiles), and then adjust the MODULEPATH environment variable to include all directories of modules, e.g.,

$ echo $MODULEPATH
/opt/ohpc/pub/modulefiles:/opt/modulefiles

$ module avail

-------------------------- /opt/ohpc/pub/modulefiles ---------------------------
EasyBuild/3.3.1 hwloc/1.11.7 pmix/1.2.3
autotools llvm4/4.0.1 prun/1.1
gnu7/7.1.0 papi/5.5.1 valgrind/3.13.0

------------------------------- /opt/modulefiles -------------------------------
cuda/9.1

- Derek

On Mar 28, 2018, at 10:07 PM, Mark Moorcroft <plaktau@...> wrote:

Is there an accepted practice/location for adding additional modules? Is it considered bad form to add them in /opt/ohpc, or is that exactly where you should be putting them?
---
Derek Simmel
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
dsimmel@...
+1 (412) 268-1035

Mark Moorcroft

Thanks Derek,

I'm asking because the guy who is taking on maintaining our modules claims that you can't fully embrace the advantages with lmod if you go outside the main tree. We are doing exactly what you suggest now, but he claims a lot of the smarts and inheritance is lost when you do that. Or it could be we just lack experience with lmod.

Mark Moorcroft
NASA/Ames RC

Karl W. Schulz

On Mar 29, 2018, at 1:36 PM, Mark Moorcroft <plaktau@...> wrote:

Thanks Derek,

I'm asking because the guy who is taking on maintaining our modules claims that you can't fully embrace the advantages with lmod if you go outside the main tree. We are doing exactly what you suggest now, but he claims a lot of the smarts and inheritance is lost when you do that. Or it could be we just lack experience with lmod.

Mark Moorcroft
NASA/Ames RC

If you just augment the MODULEPATH as Derek suggested, then you are still letting Lmod do it’s magic. You may have some local moduelfiles that don’t take advantage of all the options (for example. the “family” designation that we use in ohpc-generated modulefiles), but you should not lose functionality.

Cheers,

-k