Re: ohpc for debian

Adrian Reber

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 05:09:50AM -0800, Lucian D. Filip wrote:
Hello all,

I have a bit of a weird situation with my cluster. Part of the cluster is a very old (2011 ish) HP Blade System Gen7 with QLogic infiniband interconects. I have tried my best to get these working in Centos (and recently Rocky) but it appears that these were deprecated and even in Elrepo I couldn't find anything that works. By pure accident we discovered that a debian system (proxmox in this case) is able to recognize and even use these very old cards to our surprise! So now we have started to thing how to use this new development. As it stands our system is build using proxmox on all the computes nodes and the master and VMs are used for calculations. The VMs are provisioned with warewulf to boot images from the master. We are running Rocky linux on the master VM.

Now my questions are:

1) is it possible to create a debian chroot image from a Rocky (rhel clone) host? If not I have seen that it is possible to import an image build on a different machine. I have never done that but will look into it.
Many years ago, during CentOS 6 I used debootstrap to create Ubuntu VMs
on a CentOS system. It seems debootstrap is still available in EPEL:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/debootstrap

That should enable you to create the chroot.

2) if (1) is possible, how would I go about installing the rest of the ohpc system in a debian image? Is this possible?
You can probably just (NFS) mount the /opt/ohpc directory and it should
be available. The main problem will probably be that your Debian image
does not have all the OS libraries OpenHPC depends on. I doubt that it
will work.

Maybe using containers in your Debian image would be the best solution
if you want to use the OpenHPC packages.

Adrian

Join OpenHPC-users@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.