Topics

URGENT TIME SENSITIVE IARU REQUEST [SPECIAL NOTICE] #bandplan

URGENT REQUEST - TIME SENSITIVE!

I have until 18:00 UTC on 3 June 2020 to compile a short bullet list of the concerns and ideas regarding band planning and Olivia.
I need your input as soon as possible. Comments are fine. The reason is that this compiled list will be presented to the IARU for a meeting that is taking place on 3 June 2020.
For the discussion within the three IARU regional groups it is important that we send them (via me) a paper with the positions of the Olivia group interests, only a few bullit points.

--
Thank you,
Tomas David Hood - NW7US

“For me, great algorithms are the poetry of computation. Just like verse, they can be terse, allusive, dense, and even mysterious. But once unlocked, they cast a brilliant new light on some aspect of computing. ” — Francis Sullivan

“An algorithm must be seen to be believed.” — Donald Knuth

Twitter:   https://Twitter.com/NW7US (@NW7US)
Google+    http://nw7us.us/+

The information contained in this communication is confidential, proprietary, and intended for the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication or unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and DO NOT ACT UPON, FORWARD, COPY, OR OTHERWISE DISSEMINATE IT OR ITS CONTENT

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Leo Bally

FT8 stations needs only one Herz off another FT8 station so Bandwidth of 2000 Herz is more than enough. Bigger problem is the CPU capacity of the computer
So it stays where it is  or when not acceptable FT8 takes frequencies from Ft4 what is totally a disaster they can even work next to each other

Leo Bally
OK8LEO
Stribrna Lhota 1021
Mnisek pod brdy
25210 Czech Republic

On 2 Jun 2020, at 21:03, Tomas, NW7US <nw7us.heliophile@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark GØNMY

  • Olivia has always tried to co-exist with other mode users, we have always been considerate about our choice of frequency. (Its the gentlemans way).
  • Olivia is a weak signal mode, by weak we mean undetectable by human ear.
  • There can a qso taking place and you may not realise it.
  • it is however a mode of keyboard to keyboard chat method,
  • It is not unattended or automated.
  • There is always a Human radio operator in attendance.
  • Olivia operators have always been flexible when it comes for frequency sharing etc.
  • Its bad enough during contests when bandplans seem to get thrown out of the window by some (not all) contestors.
  • Whilst FT8 is a popular weak signal rapid fire contest style method, FT4 even more so. that does not mean it should be able to
    bully other band users by spreading out without proper consultation to other users.
  • Data modes come and go, like PSK31 JT65 Hellschriber etc, and even though they are not as popular now, does that mean they can be walked all over
    for the latest contest style method of communication.

  • Olivia is a chat mode a bit like RTTY but it has a much better weaksignal performance.  But RTTY is still a used mode.

  • trying to balace all data modes within a limited spectrum on a global scale cannot be acheived without full consultation on a GLOBAL scale.
    Just like the IARU conferences cater for.
  • maybe we need to all sit down and discuss and set up a globally recognised plan that is acceptable to all hams.
    And not just take frequencies because we think we should or because we can.
  • Without proper consultation we will just have chaos.

  • IS THE FREQUENCY IN USE PLEASE???
    Something that gets asked a lot lesser than it should be.

    Please add a list of frequencies that Olivia has been using as a suggestion.
    I know all Olivia users are happy to consult band occupancy and not just force others to move frequency.

G8JCF

Hear, Hear Mark, well said

de GM8JCF