Topics

sticky Standard CALLING Frequencies for Olivia #poll

Edited

A POLL REGARDING STANDARDIZED, PUBLISHED CALLING FREQUENCIES

This poll is an effort to modify the list of calling frequencies for Olivia digital mode on HF.  This list is an effort to make it easier for those searching for initial contact with someone using Olivia.  A calling frequency is just that, a spot on the spectrum where you start calling.  When answered, the parties involved move off the calling frequency just a bit, so that other callers have a chance to also make contact ON A STANDARDIZED, well-known frequency.

It is often best to get on standard calling frequencies with this mode because you can miss a lot of weak signals if you don't. However, with Olivia activity on the rise AND all the other modes vying for space, a good deal of the time you can operate wherever you can find a clear spot--as close as you can to a standard calling frequency.

Note: some websites publish frequencies in this band, frequencies that are right on top of weak-signal JT65 and JT9 segments. DO NOT QRM weak-signal QSOs!

We (the active Olivia community members) suggest 8/250 (eight tones, 250 Hz bandwidth) as the starting settings when calling CQ on the HF Upper-Side Band (USB) frequencies. A Calling Frequency is a center frequency on which you initially call, “CQ…” and then, with the agreement with the answering operator, move to a new nearby frequency, changing the number of tones and bandwidth at your discretion. Even though 8/250 is slow, the CQ call is short. But, it is narrow, to allow room for other QSOs nearby.

In the following lists, CENTER is where you place the center of the software's cursor, and click to select that center frequency on the waterfall. If you use the DIAL frequency from this list, then click 1500 Hz offset up the waterfall (1500 Hz to the RIGHT of the LEFT side of the waterfall, if your waterfall is oriented horizontally with the lowest frequency on the left). This results in the software and transceiver being correctly tuned for the CENTER frequency.

The following tables show CENTER, then DIAL, then the number of tones and the bandwidth.

The poll is, "Which of these two proposed frequency sets do you prefer, and suggest that we adopt as our standardized calling frequencies?"

CURRENT OLIVIA CALLING AND LISTENING FREQUENCIES

CENTER
Up 1500 Hz from
the dial frequency
DIAL
1500 Hz below the center frequency
# of Tones /
Bandwidth
1.8269 MHz 1.8254 MHz 8/250
3.5829 MHz 3.5814 MHz 8/250
7.0729 MHz 7.0714 MHz 8/250
10.1429 MHz 10.1414 MHz 8/250
14.0729 MHz 14.0714 MHz 8/250
14.1075 MHz 14.1060 MHz 16/1000
18.1029 MHz 18.1014 MHz 8/250
21.0729 MHz 21.0714 MHz 8/250
24.9229 MHz 24.9214 MHz 8/250
28.1229 MHz 28.1214 MHz 8/250

POSSIBLE NEW OLIVIA CALLING AND LISTENING FREQUENCIES

CENTER
Up 1500 Hz from
the dial frequency
DIAL
1500 Hz below the center frequency
# of Tones /
Bandwidth
1.8270 MHz 1.8255 MHz 8/250
3.5830 MHz 3.5815 MHz 8/250
7.0730 MHz 7.0715 MHz 8/250
10.1430 MHz 10.1415 MHz 8/250
14.0730 MHz 14.0715 MHz 8/250
14.1075 MHz 14.1060 MHz 16/1000
18.1030 MHz 18.1015 MHz 8/250
21.0730 MHz 21.0715 MHz 8/250
24.9230 MHz 24.9215 MHz 8/250
28.1230 MHz 28.1215 MHz 8/250

Please answer this poll by selecting the table you prefer, most.
(The table on the left is the first table, the table on the right is the second table).

Here is the question:

Compare and think about the two tables, above.
Should we keep these frequencies as listed in the table on the left, or,
change to the frequencies listed in the table on the right?

Results

See Who Responded

John Amdor III

Wouldn't the center freq for 80M be 3.5830, not 3.5800?

John K0MXL

On 10/26/19 6:28 PM, Tomas, NW7US wrote:
A new poll has been created:

Hi, John.

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 9:09 PM John Amdor III <johnmxl@...> wrote:

Wouldn't the center freq for 80M be 3.5830, not 3.5800?

Right, are!  Thank you for catching that.  I have made the edit at http://nw7us.us/olivia/poll01 as well as on the Groups.io poll.

Raul M0ZZM

Thanks Tomas,

I voted for the change, however here are a few comments for a further improvement:

- I noticed that the 14107 kHz slot quotes 16/1000 mode, however most transmissions on that frequency happen in 32/1000 mode.

- Most 40m data (and Olivia) daytime and evening traffic across Europe is around 7040 kHz, this is because the 7070 slot is predominantly occupied by phone traffic. This matches with the UK's RSGB band plan description, which I suspect matches that of other Region 1 countries (I constantly observe that all data users from the Russian Far East to the Azores and Iceland can be found on that portion of frequency). My experience is that work on the higher 7070 kHz slot only becomes feasible late in the evening (meaning after 2200-2300 UTC) when the propagation opens for DX and closes locally, with only DX night owls left on the band. In simple words it may be a good idea to add a 7043 kHz slot as this is where Olivia is often found.

- Feedback from as many countries as possible would be beneficial for this last note. From the UK's RSGB band plan "largely based on that agreed at IARU Region 1 General Conferences with some local differences", the UK the 1827 kHz slot is set for Telegraphy. The slot for narrow band modes (500 Hz max bandwidth) is 1838-1840. Until earlier this year I frequently operated 16/500 on 1939.5 kHz centre without being challenged so that may be a good 8/250 candidate for a call slot frequency, but I am not sure of how it would work in countries other than the UK.

Raul M0ZZM

PF1JM

Thomas,

I agree with Rauls suggestion on adding 7043 or something as an extra allocation on 40.
I do not operate on 160, but concerning an allocation on 160 meters: in PA land we are not allowed to operate above 1880 kHz. So an allocation somewhere between 1830  kHz and 1840 kHz would be nice.

Jeroen PF1JM

TheRubbersoul1991 .

I am infrequent user so don't feel really informed enough to vote for or against.
What are the arguments for change?
Wouldn't the move to 14.0730 put the call frequency just about on top of the FT8 call frequency?
Tnx and 73
Phil
VK8VWA

Hey, group.

My mom just passed away, so I have been distracted from getting the new frequency list stuff done, and from getting on the air in any significant way.  Things will settle down by next week.

Thanks,

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

F1ABE Eric

Hello,

over 60m ?, we have been authorized for a few days.
14.106 yes but with 32/100,
I have never seen 16/1000.

73 de Eric

Peter Martinsen/OZ1PMX

5368 CF

Tom DF5JL

Peter,

That is outside the WRC-15 band allocation, even in France. Most countries are only allowed to operate 5351.5 to 5366.5 kHz on a secondary basis with a maximum power of 15W EIRP. Denmark has a privilege!

Eric F1ABE, most digital mode operations you'll find between 5357 and 5360 kHz (CF).

73 Tom DF5JL

IARU Region 1 HF Manager

Am 23.02.2020 um 15:00 schrieb Peter Martinsen/OZ1PMX:

5368 CF

Rich

Condolences.

--
72,
Rich Hurd / WC3T / DMR: 3142737

Peter Martinsen/OZ1PMX

Hi Tom

5368 CF is what U.K. Stations have been using for years ;-)

73 OZ1PMX Peter

Tom DF5JL

Yes, but only UK stations, but Eric can't operate there.

73 Tom DF5JL

Am 23.02.2020 um 15:36 schrieb Peter Martinsen/OZ1PMX:

Hi Tom

5368 CF is what U.K. Stations have been using for years ;-)

73 OZ1PMX Peter

F1ABE Eric

hello,

Yes we have 5351.5 to 5366.5 Khz  and 5357 to 5360 much FT8 qrm, i will see over 5360, thanks for all, 73 de Eric.

Tom DF5JL

5360 and 5363 kHz are mainly used for USB fonie - 5354 to 5357 kHz seems to be an alternative.

73 Tom DF5JL

Am 24.02.2020 um 06:57 schrieb F1ABE Eric:

hello,

Yes we have 5351.5 to 5366.5 Khz  and 5357 to 5360 much FT8 qrm, i will see over 5360, thanks for all, 73 de Eric.

Peter Martinsen/OZ1PMX

5354 is used for Robust Packet APRS and 5357 is used for FT8

GM es 73 de OZ1PMX Peter

Peter Martinsen/OZ1PMX

So ... 5366.50 is ok for you !

73 OZ1PMX Peter

Tom DF5JL

Peter,

There are 3 kHz space, I mean real frequencies, not dial frequencies.

73 Tom DF5JL

Am 24.02.2020 um 08:01 schrieb Peter Martinsen/OZ1PMX:

5354 is used for Robust Packet APRS and 5357 is used for FT8

GM es 73 de OZ1PMX Peter

Tom DF5JL

It is out of band (because of USB!) - and, 5366.0 to 5366.5 is for small band digimodes only, with a bandwidth of 20 (twenty!) kHz.

73 Tom DF5JL

Am 24.02.2020 um 08:11 schrieb Peter Martinsen/OZ1PMX:

So ... 5366.50 is ok for you !

73 OZ1PMX Peter

Tom DF5JL

The band is only 15 kHz wide. You can't specify a transmission mode on a
3 kHz wide segment. You'll have to divide up individual ranges.
Furthermore, one has to distinguish between practical use and
recommendation by IARU. A sentence like "5354 is used for Robust Packet
APRS and 5357 is used for FT8" therefore makes no sense. Nobody owns a
frequency, not even a transmission type.