Topics

Olivia signals?

Malcolm Porter G4TJK <charlie.porter1@...>

Hi,
I am a new to Olivia, and to this Group.

I have used other digital modes quite successfully (including FT8, which I dislike!), but I have yet to decode an Olivia signal! What am I doing wrong?

I'm using an ICOM IC-7300 in USB-D mode. Connected via USB to FLDIGI (latest version) and I'm looking for 8/250 signals at 14.0714 MHz, with the cursor centred at 1500 Hz. Both  RxID and TxID are checked in the FLDIGI app.

But nothing.....  Does that mean that there's no OLIVIA activity in the UK/Europe ?

Best regards,

Malcolm
G4TJK

Tom DF5JL

Hi Malcolm,

most activity you'll find in Europe at 14106.0 kHz (+1500 Hz) in OL32/1000.

73 Tom DF5JL

Am 01. Aug.. 2020 um 08:42 schrieb Malcolm Porter G4TJK via groups.io:

Hi,
I am a new to Olivia, and to this Group.

I have used other digital modes quite successfully (including FT8,
which I dislike!), but I have yet to decode an Olivia signal! What am
I doing wrong?

I'm using an ICOM IC-7300 in USB-D mode. Connected via USB to FLDIGI
(latest version) and I'm looking for 8/250 signals at 14.0714 MHz,
with the cursor centred at 1500 Hz. Both  RxID and TxID are checked in
the FLDIGI app.

But nothing.....  Does that mean that there's no OLIVIA activity in
the UK/Europe ?

Best regards,

Malcolm
G4TJK

Raul M0ZZM

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 07:45 AM, Malcolm Porter G4TJK wrote:
Does that mean that there's no OLIVIA activity in the UK/Europe ?
Morning Malcolm,

There is activity, but Olivia is a small community and finding QSOs takes some patience. One method that works is to monitor Hamspots but at times it takes long sessions of CQ calling. I have been away from the radio for a couple of months but am back now and mostly active in the evenings and occasionally at night.
 73 Raul M0ZZM

Joe Dz

Hi Malcolm,

We Olivia types are out there, but are somewhat a rare catch.  I did work a DK from here in W1 land on 7/31/2020 on 20m, but band conditions are fairly poor.

Some of us have been doing this to help with spots:  under the RsID settings, we have been setting search passband and the let the rig sit on an Olivia freq at WF 1500.  As TxID headers are detected, we also have the PSK Reporter set, so we are now doing more spotting, especially when no one is in the shack.  It also helps folks who call CQ with the TxID on, and even if they do not work anyone, check PSK Reporter and see if they were heard somewhere.  If you are in the shack and decide to work a station that the search passband jumped your Tx to, turn off search passband or disable RxID in the upper right during a QSO otherwise a nearby signal can pull you off freq and also change mode.

All the best and stick with it.

73,

Joe, K1YOW

I am a new to Olivia, and to this Group.

I have used other digital modes quite successfully (including FT8, which I dislike!), but I have yet to decode an Olivia signal! What am I doing wrong?

I'm using an ICOM IC-7300 in USB-D mode. Connected via USB to FLDIGI (latest version) and I'm looking for 8/250 signals at 14.0714 MHz, with the cursor centred at 1500 Hz. Both  RxID and TxID are checked in the FLDIGI app.

But nothing.....  Does that mean that there's no OLIVIA activity in the UK/Europe ?

Best regards,

Malcolm
G4TJK

Jonathan Helis

1a. Olivia signals?
From: Malcolm Porter G4TJK<charlie.porter1@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 01:45:45 CDT

Hi,
I am a new to Olivia, and to this Group.

I have used other digital modes quite successfully (including FT8, which I dislike!), but I have yet to decode an Olivia signal! What am I doing wrong?

I'm using an ICOM IC-7300 in USB-D mode. Connected via USB to FLDIGI (latest version) and I'm looking for 8/250 signals at 14.0714 MHz, with the cursor centred at 1500 Hz. Both  RxID and TxID are checked in the FLDIGI app.

But nothing.....  Does that mean that there's no OLIVIA activity in the UK/Europe ?

Best regards,

Malcolm
G4TJK
I spend a lot of time calling CQ on Olivia too and not getting a response. Seems like everyone has gravitated to FT8 which like you, I'm not a fan of. Sometimes I throw out a CQ on FT8 then check pskreporter.info to see I've been spotted and usually I get plenty of spots so the band is open, just nobody on Olivia.

I miss seeing the other digital modes I used to see on the bands and I'd like to see more activity. The 30 Meter Digital Group has an activity hour scheduled Sundays at 2300 UTC and sometimes OLIVIA is seen there. Check between 10.142-10.144 and you may see activity.

--

Sean Dennis KS4TD

I usually see Olivia 8/250 activity here in the States around 14.070/14.071 (dial).  A lot of it is weak-signal for me but I can decode it.  I mainly see it in the early afternoon (1300 EDT) and then in the late evening (2100 EDT).  I have called CQ myself using 8/250 a few times and nearly every time, I get an answer, so I know people are watching the band.

I've even had some success using THOR 11 recently and my other favorite mode, Feld Hell (and FSK Hell 105 which is good in noisy conditions and DX).

There is a group in Virginia that uses Olivia 16/1000 with a weekly net they have on Tuesdays, I believe.

I've tried FT8 and immediately deleted the software.  After 35 years in IT, if I wanted two computers to talk to each other, I know easier ways to do that. :)

If any of you want to try a sked, please contact me.  I am not working at this time due to health reasons and would like an excuse to get up in the mornings!

73,
Sean KS4TD (ex-KD5COL)

Joe Dz

Today (Sat, Aug 01, 2020) while I am doing other things, as an experiment I left the rig running fldigi on 20m (14.0730 MHz center 14.0715 MHz dial  8/250) in search pass band and RsID and PSK Reporter enabled, and it copied Olivia and Contestia stations and spotted them to PSK Reporter.  Stations were in North and South America and Europe.  I think I will do this more often as it will get spots put up onto PSK Reporter, which we need more of.
Joe, K1YOW

Malcolm Porter G4TJK <charlie.porter1@...>

Tom,
Thanks for the tip. However, is this a CQ frequency?
Regards,
Malcolm
G4TJK

Tom DF5JL

Malcom,

Some kind of CQ QRG, yes. But only for OL32/1000, CF 14107.5 kHz (surpressed carrier 14106.0 kHz +1500 Hz shift).

73, Tom DF5JL

Am 02. Aug.. 2020 um 08:49 schrieb Malcolm Porter G4TJK via groups.io:

Tom,
Thanks for the tip. However, is this a CQ frequency?
Regards,
Malcolm
G4TJK

EI3IBB Mark

I wish more People used TXid but the majority of People do not, if they did we'd all have more contacts.

Eric

I always use RSID, especially as new inexperienced operators are faced with a multitude of data modes.

I wish more People used TXid but the majority of People do not, if they did we'd all have more contacts.

Eric

I'm chatting most days all over including USA on OLIVIA 32/1000   14.106.500

hmmm FT8 or watch paint dry today....   choices choices   :-)

Eric
G4VZZ

[...]

Arthur Ulfeldt

the majority of people I successfully make contact with have txid on 🤔

man. 3. aug. 2020 05.15 skrev Eric <eric@...>:

[...]

Yeah.... I always have TX and RX ID on.

[...]

Tom King

I'll use TxID for CQ but turn it off once a QSO starts. Yes, please use TxID.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 10:57 AM Tom King <thomas.king@...> wrote:

I'll use TxID for CQ but turn it off once a QSO starts. Yes, please use TxID.

It would actually benefit more people if, with each transmission made, the TxID went out.  People who were not on frequency during that initial CQ may not be able to identify what is going on.  Having said that, if we transmit the ID every time, it helps us gain more exposure.

That's my honest opinion, at least.

:)

Tomas
NW7US

--

73 de NW7US dit dit
"Mind your dits and dahs and the spaces between elements and words; be consistent with those lengths!"

..

David Latour <ve4dla@...>

We'd all make more contacts with RsID on. It's the only way I made my first THOR contact.

Eric

Always got mine on....  it's no bother at all and helps others. Especially as I usually fire out OLIVIA at 32/1000

We'd all make more contacts with RsID on. It's the only way I made my first THOR contact.

Doug/KB8DNQ <kb8dnq@...>

I have my Txid on all the time, But when I'm in a qso with someone I turn off my Rxid so if someone comes on on a different mode I don't get kicked to there mode.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 6:17 AM EI3IBB Mark <markobyrnes@...> wrote:
I wish more People used TXid but the majority of People do not, if they did we'd all have more contacts.

Lee - WB4QOJ 30MDG #1835

Mine is always on for OLIVIA and others.

Lee WB4QOJ