Topics

Olivia frequency

Ken Smith

What frequency are we using on 20 meters for Olivia 8/500 to use?  I  looked at a chart on HFLInk.com  and the center frequency 14.075.4  is in the FT8  zone.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Visit http://OliviaDigitalMode.org and see the list of frequencies right on the main web page.  We have a discussion about moving a little bit more, and I am working on that next week,

Once you go to http://OliviaDigitalMode.org you will also find a files section.  There are helpful files there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

73 de NW7US

--
Thank you,
Tomas David Hood - NW7US

“For me, great algorithms are the poetry of computation. Just like verse, they can be terse, allusive, dense, and even mysterious. But once unlocked, they cast a brilliant new light on some aspect of computing. ” — Francis Sullivan

“An algorithm must be seen to be believed.” — Donald Knuth

Twitter:   https://Twitter.com/NW7US (@NW7US)
Google+    http://nw7us.us/+

The information contained in this communication is confidential, proprietary, and intended for the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication or unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and DO NOT ACT UPON, FORWARD, COPY, OR OTHERWISE DISSEMINATE IT OR ITS CONTENT

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Ken Smith

Thank you

K5XOM

[...]

Doug/KB8DNQ

I usually fine Olivia contacts at 14071-14072.
between the PSK and ft8 there is not much room but until someone decides where were all going to meet it is what it is.

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 5:43 PM Ken Smith via Groups.Io <kls235=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

What frequency are we using on 20 meters for Olivia 8/500 to use?  I  looked at a chart on HFLInk.com  and the center frequency 14.075.4  is in the FT8  zone.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

A side-note regarding your observation:

 | I  looked at a chart on HFLInk.com  and
 | the center frequency 14.075.4  is in the
 | FT8  zone.

That's because there once existed "gentlemen's agreements" that sub-devided the amateur radio bands in such a way as everyone got along and everyone knew where to find stuff like weak-signal CW, weak-signal satellite, Olivia, PSK32, and so on. Then came Joe Taylor and his minions on the board of developers who helped Joe roll out FT8. They did NOT consult with the wide ham community to try and work with other players on the spectrum. They arbitrarily chose .074, etc., as the default frequency in their software. The rest is history.

I and others got on their case. To no avail.

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Ken Smith

Thank you  for the explanation.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 | the center frequency 14.075.4  is in the
 | FT8  zone.

That's because there once existed "gentlemen's agreements" that sub-devided the amateur radio bands in such a way as everyone got along and everyone knew where to find stuff like weak-signal CW, weak-signal satellite, Olivia, PSK32, and so on. Then came Joe Taylor and his minions on the board of developers who helped Joe roll out FT8. They did NOT consult with the wide ham community to try and work with other players on the spectrum. They arbitrarily chose .074, etc., as the default frequency in their software. The rest is history.

I and others got on their case. To no avail.

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.
+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Ken Smith

Thank you Doug

K5XOM

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I usually fine Olivia contacts at 14071-14072.

between the PSK and ft8 there is not much room but until someone decides where were all going to meet it is what it is.

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 5:43 PM Ken Smith via Groups.Io <kls235=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

What frequency are we using on 20 meters for Olivia 8/500 to use?  I  looked at a chart on HFLInk.com  and the center frequency 14.075.4  is in the FT8  zone.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Bry Carling AF4K

Tomas is right.

Best regards - Bry Carling, AF4K

On Nov 20, 2019, at 11:46 AM, Tomas, NW7US <nw7us.heliophile@...> wrote:

A side-note regarding your observation:

 | I  looked at a chart on HFLInk.com  and
 | the center frequency 14.075.4  is in the
 | FT8  zone.

That's because there once existed "gentlemen's agreements" that sub-devided the amateur radio bands in such a way as everyone got along and everyone knew where to find stuff like weak-signal CW, weak-signal satellite, Olivia, PSK32, and so on. Then came Joe Taylor and his minions on the board of developers who helped Joe roll out FT8. They did NOT consult with the wide ham community to try and work with other players on the spectrum. They arbitrarily chose .074, etc., as the default frequency in their software. The rest is history.

I and others got on their case. To no avail.

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Bry Carling AF4K

14.072 -.075 MHz
But I gave up all summer due to QRN and could not contact anyone.

I think that I have made to Olivia contacts this year. I would like for that to be a whole lot more over the next few months.

On Nov 19, 2019, at 5:43 PM, Ken Smith via Groups.Io <kls235@...> wrote:

What frequency are we using on 20 meters for Olivia 8/500 to use?  I  looked at a chart on HFLInk.com  and the center frequency 14.075.4  is in the FT8  zone.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi, Bry.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 4:53 AM Bry Carling AF4K <af4k@...> wrote:

Tomas is right.

Except when I allow my phone to auto-correct my spelling:
That's because there once existed "gentlemen's agreements" that sub-devided
"devided?"  What the heck? My phone is phreaked!

Divided.  Yeah.

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Norm Fasoletos

Hello, just joined the group, didn't know it existed. Lots of good info especially the Olivia frequencies.

I have made a few Olivia contacts and find it a lot more forgiving on noise than PKSK31 which I have done a lot of over the years.

Are there a lot of users on Olivia? if so what bands are most popular..

Thanks for your help in advance!

73

Norm
K7NWF

On Nov 19, 2019, at 5:43 PM, Ken Smith via Groups.Io <kls235=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

What frequency are we using on 20 meters for Olivia 8/500 to use?  I  looked at a chart on HFLInk.com  and the center frequency 14.075.4  is in the FT8  zone.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Lee McDaniel

Norm Hello,

     Great Group GREAT MODE !!!

73 Lee WB4QOJ

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019, 7:23 PM Norm Fasoletos <norm.k7nwf@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Lee for the response, looking forward to more QSO's on Olivia and learning more about this mode.

73

Norm    K7NWF
Chandler, AZ USA

Eugene Crist

Norm - I'm in Desert Hills just up the road from you. I try to hop on every night between about 01:00-04:00 UTC so you might see me calling CQ. I'm using a ground mounted vertical so you might not see me until I can put up a dipole. I don't make it on every night but I do a fair amount. I'll use whichever the highest band is supporting propagation, and usually it's been 40 for the last couple of weeks. 30's been open a little later some nights and when it is I'll call CQ there.

Gene

Thomas Giella

I’ve come back to the older digital modes as of late including Olivia and MFSK16, also some RTTY and PSK31.

On 20 meters most of my recent Olivia QSO’s using 250/8 and 500/16 have been between 14.072 and 14.073 kHz rig dial frequency, plus 1000-1500 Hz on the waterfall.

On 40 meters 7072 kHz and on 80 meters 3582 kHz rig dial frequency, plus 1000-1500 Hz on the waterfall.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, W4HM
Lakeland, FL, USA

https://groups.io/g/w4hmradiowavepropagationforecast
https://www.facebook.com/thomasfranklingiellaw4hm

Norm Fasoletos

Gene. i will look for you. What is your call sign...

73

Norm-K7NWF

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 8:51 PM Eugene Crist <ejcristjr@...> wrote:
Norm - I'm in Desert Hills just up the road from you. I try to hop on every night between about 01:00-04:00 UTC so you might see me calling CQ. I'm using a ground mounted vertical so you might not see me until I can put up a dipole. I don't make it on every night but I do a fair amount. I'll use whichever the highest band is supporting propagation, and usually it's been 40 for the last couple of weeks. 30's been open a little later some nights and when it is I'll call CQ there.

Gene

Eugene Crist

My call is KB3ONA.

Norm Fasoletos

Great, will look for you....

73

Norm-K7NWF

On Nov 25, 2019, at 5:59 AM, Eugene Crist <@GeneC> wrote:

KB3ONA

Norm Fasoletos

Good morning from Arizona. Somehow I misplaced the Olivia calling frequencies list. Can someone send me the link to that information.

Thank you for your help and Happy Thanksgiving!

73

Norm K7NWF

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 8:19 AM Norm Fasoletos via Groups.Io <norm.k7nwf=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Great, will look for you....