Topics

Olivia Calling Frequencies #Olivia #OliviaChannels

G8JCF

Hi

I'm working on V 1.1 of the olctl utility, and one of the changes I'm making is to externalise the frequency per band per mode database, so that in future, this database can be updated and redistributed - or perhaps have the program check periodically if there is a new database and prompt to download it. Anyway, one of the things I'd like to try and do is get the database contents as correct as possible initially. So with that in mind here is my list of frequency/band/mode which I would appreciate feedback on please.
Note I've gotten rid of those "peculiar" dial offsets and settled on simple Khz boundaries - I never did understand why there were those "peculiar" dial offsets, there must be a very good reason but I can't find it or think of one :o)

For each Frequency, the entry is (all frequencies are in Hz)

Dial Frequency, Passband Offset, Mode

160m
1,825,000,1500,8-250
1,825,000,1500,16-500

80m
3,581,000,1500,8-250
3,583,000,1500,16-500

60m This plan may not be of much use since the 60m allocation is so varied around the world
5,404,000,1000,16-500
5,404,000,1000,8-250

40m
7,041,000,1500,8-250
7,071,000,1500,16-500
7,071,000,1500,8-500

30m
10,141,000,1500,8-250
10,141,000,1500,16-500

20m
14,106,000,1500,32-1K
14,106,000,1500,16-500
14,106,000,1500,8-500
14,074,000,1500,8-250

17m
18,101,000,1500,8-250
18,101,000,1500,16-250
18,101,000,1500,8-500

15m
21,153,000,1500,32-1K
21,152,000,1500,16-500
21,071,000,1500,8-250
21,071,000,1500,8-500

12m
24,921,000,1500,32-1K
24,921,000,1500,16-500
24,921,000,1500,8-250
24,921,000,1500,8-500

10m
28,121,000,1500,32-1K
28,121,000,1500,16-500
28,121,000,1500,8-500
28,076,000,1500,8-250

Thank you, 73s

Peter -  GM8JCF

Tom DF5JL

Peter,

Thank you. But what about 60m band frequencies within the worldwide allocated range between 5351,5 and 5166,5 kHz? For example

5,358,000,1500,8-250
5,358,000,1500,16-500
5,358,000,1500,8-500

Hw? 73 Tom DF5JL

Am 11.01.19 um 18:51 schrieb G8JCF:

[...]

Hi Tom

I can put in as many entries and modes as desired, so if these are "standard" 60m frequencies in some jurisdictions, then I'll add them into the database.

The structure of the database and the program itself means that it can accommodate any mode, eg PSK31, Thor etc, and frequency. Right now I'm focused purely on Olivia, but I can envisage a time when olctl will control the Frequency/Mode for many more digital modes, just by generating a more comprehensive database

Thanks for the input, I'll add them to the database.

73s

Peter - GM8JCF

G8JCF

PS, Hi Tom

Are U a Windows or Linux user ?

Peter

Tom DF5JL

Peter,

Both.

73 Tom DF5JL

Am 11.01.2019 um 20:48 schrieb G8JCF:

PS, Hi Tom

Are U a Windows or Linux user ?

Peter

G8JCF

Thanks Tom, I should have been more specific, which OS do U use for Fldigi ?

Peter

Tom DF5JL

windows 7 and linuxmint 18.3

Am 11.01.2019 um 21:37 schrieb G8JCF:

Thanks Tom, I should have been more specific, which OS do U use for Fldigi ?

Peter

G8JCF

That's great news, so U can test both Windows and Linux package :o)

73s

Peter

G8JCF

Hi Tom

Here is the beta of olctl v1.1

The download link is http://www.g8jcf.uk/olctl/setup_olctl_1.1.0.1.exe

This is a standard Windows Installshield installer.

Packaging things up for Debian will take me a couple of hours.

I would really appreciate any feedback

Thank you for your help

73s

Peter - GM8JCF

G8JCF

Hi Tom

This is the link to the Debian Linux install package
http://www.g8jcf.uk/olctl/olctl.deb
I have tested this package on RPI3+ Stretch(9), and also X64 Debian Stretch(9)

I would really appreciate any feedback

Thank you for your help once againb

73s

Peter - GM8JCF

G8JCF

Hi Tom

I've been truly mind blown and gob smacked as we say here in the UK.

I have a Linux machine running MINT, which has WINE installed. Anyway, on the off chance, I just installed olctl using the WINDOWS installer on the MINT machine, and it all works !!

This is something I never expected in a month of Sundays, it just goes to show how far Wine has advanced over the years

BTW, I'd forgotten how slick MINT was, so if you are a die-hard Windows user but want to try out Linux, then I can really recommend MINT, it feels very similar to Windows in terms of look and feel - I can feel the die-hard Linux users sharpening their knives :o)

73s

Peter - GM8JCF

Al Bruce / NZ2V

Peter
  Any plans to accommodate the Mac users?

Al

On Friday, January 11, 2019, 5:42:53 PM EST, G8JCF <g8jcfsdr@...> wrote:

Hi Tom

Here is the beta of olctl v1.1

The download link is http://www.g8jcf.uk/olctl/setup_olctl_1.1.0.1.exe

This is a standard Windows Installshield installer.

Packaging things up for Debian will take me a couple of hours.

I would really appreciate any feedback

Thank you for your help

73s

Peter - GM8JCF

G8JCF

Hi Al

There is MONO for MAC, see https://www.mono-project.com/docs/getting-started/install/mac/ so if U install Mono for Mac, then U should be able to run olctl.exe

I don't know anything about MACs (I vaguely remember using a one button mouse about 20 years ago, and used to be very familiar with a IIe) so I can't make an installation package, but if someone knows what to do, I'll gladly work with them to provide the various component parts, eg olctl.exe, readme.rtf, bandplans.txt etc. and make changes to olctl if required for MAC OS, eg olctl is OS aware so that it can use the appropriate directory separator and locate where session persistence files are stored.

I can create any number of Virtual Machines, so does anyone know if it's possible to get a MAC OS ISO image ?

Hope this info helps Al. Let me know when U have mono installed and I'll send U the individual component parts for U to install manually and try out.

Thanks for the interest

Peter - GM8JCF

G8JCF

PS, Al

I've found that there is a pukka all above board free MOJAVE 10.14 image for VMWare, so I'll get that installed and start learning about MAC OS !!  Thanks for the prompt

Peter

Al Bruce / NZ2V

Owe ya one - thanks for the quick reply !

Al

On Saturday, January 12, 2019, 12:14:43 PM EST, G8JCF <g8jcfsdr@...> wrote:

PS, Al

I've found that there is a pukka all above board free MOJAVE 10.14 image for VMWare, so I'll get that installed and start learning about MAC OS !!  Thanks for the prompt

Peter

G8JCF

Well I've got a 10.12 VirtualBox VM running. It's very strange after Windows/Linux+KDE !!

Peter

G8JCF

Good News for MAC users !

Please follow these steps to get olctl working on your MAC - mine is MAC OS Sierra 10.12 in a 2 core VM

1) Install MONO for MAC from https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/#download-mac
2) Goto https://www.mono-project.com/docs/getting-started/install/mac/ for instructions on how to verify that you have a proper MONO installation on your MAC
3) Download olctl from http://www.g8jcf.uk/olctl/olctl_1.1.0.1.zip
4) start up a terminal session
5) in the terminal session, cd ~/Downloads/olctl_1.1.0.1
6) do ls -l and U should see the list of files

-rwxr-xr-x    1 Peter    Administ   106496 May 22  2005 CookComputing.XmlRpc.dll
-rw-r--r--    1 Peter    Administ     1079 Jan 11 22:13 bandplans.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 Peter    Administ     3409 Jan 10 00:05 help.rtf
-rw-r--r--    1 Peter    Administ      933 Jan  8 19:54 license.rtf
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Peter    Administ    56832 Jan 11 23:36 olctl.exe
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Peter    Administ       60 Jan 13 01:24 olctl.sh
-rw-r--r--    1 Peter    Administ     6916 Jan  8 20:02 readme.rtf
-rw-r--r--    1 Peter    Administ     6203 Jan  6 23:49 readme.txt

7) run olctl with ./olctl.sh

olctl should then be displayed. On the first time, it might well take over 1 minute before the window appears, but on subsequent executions it's pretty snappy.

Now what I have to learn is how to create a .pkg installation package so that it's all point and click without users having to dive around in unix, but in the meantime I would really appreciate if some MAC users would to try this stuff out - it's only been about 4 hrs since  I got my MAC virtual machine up and running (and I've never before played with a MAC) so it's been a very steep learning curve, but luckily underneath all that gloss there is real substance (only joking), MAC OS is still UNIX, and the command line works just as expected and stuff is more or less where it is on UNIX systems including good old vi, so I haven't really learnt much MAC stuff after all ;o)

Look forward to hearing from U MAC folks - Have a great Sunday.

73s

Peter - GM8JCF

PS, there must be a PSK31 contest going on because I see PSK signals everywhere tonight.

G8JCF

Edited

Hi Al

The MAC installation package is available from http://www.g8jcf.uk/olctl/olctl.app.pkg for download.

Use "finder" navigate to Downloads and double click on olctl.app.pkg. U will probably be warned that this app didn't come from the app store, but go ahead.

Use "finder" navigate to Applications and U should see a square Blue icon which is the olctl app, double click on the icon and olctl should be displayed. The first time it might take a minute or so to start, but thereafter olctl should start pretty snappily.

On my MAC VM, although olctl is installed in /Applications, and "finder" treats it as an Application, olctl doesn't appear in  Launchpad, and I haven't found a way to tell MacOS to make a shortcut/link into Launchpad as part of the installation process, however since this is my very first ever MacOS installer .pkg, I have loads more to learn. I believe that U can manually add shortcut/link from "finder" to Launchpad.

U will need to install mono as previously described in this thread in order for oltcl to work.

Who knew that my journey 2 months ago into digital modes would also involve me learning so many knew things including learning how to drive a Mac (albeit in fits and starts, but getting better).

Anyway, I would very much like to know how U get on with this installer .pkg

73s

Peter -  GM8JCF

N S

Are there any 6m frequencies?

Norm

G8JCF

Hi Norm

If someone can recommend 6M frequencies, and the community agrees, then it's trivial to include the frequency(s) in the database.

73s

Peter - GM8JCF

http://www.g8jcf.uk/olctl