Topics

OLIVIA Beginner

W7VH

HI,

I'm a beginner in Olivia (as well as MFSK).  I'm in Oregon on the West Coast of the US.
I did copy someone today who seemed to be doing a net or something today around 22:00 GMT
on dial 7.110 but couldn't hear any of the other stations.  They were running MFSK 32 and luckily had TXID on
so I had my first decode of any of these modes.

I've tried CQ around 7.110 but nothing.   Also tried 7.0385 and 7.0715 dial.  Nothing there.

I moved up to 14.0715 and heard some weird really wide super sparse mode that isn't in FLDIGI.  I tried CQ with Olivia 8/250 and MFSK-8.
I also did this on 14.106. Nothing yet.

I'm happy to have copied (and been copied even if it was just to tell me I was QRM ) on MFSK-32.  I've never been able to identify
the right mode for anything until now as hardly anyone runs TXID.

I've done all this before on weekends when there is more activity.

Am I on the right frequencies for West Coast US?

Also, when might I hear more activity>  I work Europe sometimes on FT8 or FT4 on 20 meters but not very often.
I've got a total pipeline on 40m 20m and 15m to ZL, VK, KH6, JA, and sometimes Asiatic Russia in the evenings.
Is anybody active on the West Coast here I might be able to work with, maybe make a sked or something?

Thanks,

Jon
W7VH

Hi, Jon.

You have great questions!

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 6:00 PM W7VH <jon@...> wrote:

I'm a beginner in Olivia (as well as MFSK).

Welcome!

I'm in Oregon on the West Coast of the US.

Beautiful area of these great United States of America.  I love the pacific coast.

I love the Northwestern area of the USA -- from Montana to Washington, down to North California, over to the Grand Canyon, and up along the Rocky Mountains.

My call, a vanity, is NW7US -- NorthWest 7-land United States -- my heart belongs to the Northwest!

:)

Now, to your questions:

I've tried CQ around 7.110 but nothing.   Also tried 7.0385 and 7.0715 dial.  Nothing there.

Have you been to the home page of our email reflector, at http://OliviaDigitalMode.net -- and look at the picture in which we've listed the common CALLING frequencies?  We are in the middle of figuring out where to adjust those frequencies due to the intrusion of FT8/FT4.  However, they are what we still try to use.  Now, these are only our calling frequencies - so you can operate anywhere legal.  But, we use the calling frequencies with the Olivia set to 8 tones, 250-Hertz bandwidth, so that everyone is on the same page when trying to find each other -- often our signals are weak -- having calling frequencies makes our effort more likely to net us some Olivia QSOs.  When a QSO is started, we ought to move OFF of the calling frequency a bit, so others can use the calling frequency in the same way we just did.

The 7.110 is shared by a lot of modes, so you may or may not find other Olivia activity there.  More likely to find Olivia near the calling frequencies:

In the following list, CENTER is where you place the center of the software's cursor, and click to select that center frequency on the waterfall. If you use the DIAL frequency from this list, then click 1500 Hz offset up the waterfall (1500 Hz to the RIGHT of the LEFT side of the waterfall, if your waterfall is oriented horizontally with the lowest frequency on the left).

This results in the software and transceiver being correctly tuned for the CENTER frequency. The listing shows CENTER, then DIAL, then the number of tones and the bandwidth.

CENTER    DIAL         (Tones/Bandwidth)
 1.8269    1.8254      (8/250)
 3.5729    3.5714      (8/250)
 7.0729    7.0714      (8/250)
10.1429   10.1414      (8/250)
14.0729   14.0714      (8/250)
14.1075   14.1060     (32/1000)
18.1029   18.1014      (8/250)
21.0729   21.0714      (8/250)
24.9229   24.9214      (8/250)
28.1229   28.1214      (8/250)
(These are just calling frequencies, after contact, move up or down to free up the calling frequency.  If conditions are good enough, you might change from 8/250 to 4/500, or 16/500, if you want a faster QSO word flow.)

As you have noted, if the software is able to decode/encode the Reed-Solomon Identification signals (RSID), folks should turn on both receive and transmit RSID. An example is shown in the following video, which demonstrates enabling RSID in a popular software suite:

Am I on the right frequencies for West Coast US?

Again, I refer you to our calling frequencies, and the frequencies just above and below, as traffic of other stations and other modes dictate.

Also, when might I hear more activity>  I work Europe sometimes on FT8 or FT4 on 20 meters but not very often.
I've got a total pipeline on 40m 20m and 15m to ZL, VK, KH6, JA, and sometimes Asiatic Russia in the evenings.
Is anybody active on the West Coast here I might be able to work with, maybe make a sked or something?

There are a few Australian stations quite active on Olivia -- they have to follow their Region's bandplans, so depending on the band, they might be elsewhere on the bands.  However, we are trying to engineer our calling frequencies in such a way as to be available in all three regions.

Check out the files section at:

Note:  You must be signed in to your account on Groups.io in order to access the files.

One of the files that is still useful is the one I prepared:

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

I look forward to having a QSO with you!

Tomas

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Larry fields

you mentioned there was some weird other possible modes being heard was you able to test those to see if they were the cause of QRM. I tried the FLDIGI on my side and only hear other
 modes here

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 12:00 PM W7VH <jon@...> wrote:
[...]

OPERATE 80-70CM SSB,AND DIGITAL MODES
NETS: 7095 KHZ 0900,1100& 2300 UTC 145.340 VHF 13:00 UTC

lee mcdaniel

Thanks Tomas....GOOD STUFF...

Lee WB4QOJ
W Metro Atlanta

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 8:35 PM, Larry fields
<du1n6hpx@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike AB7RU

Jon,
I am in Spokane. Running an indoor station in the city (apt ground floor), 1 watt usually. WSPR is about the only mode I get any results on, though I have dreams of one day having an Olivia contact. I did copy an Olivia station once on 20 meters. But that is about it! If you are calling CQ I would sure give a listen. I could probably go to 10 watts if I had to and set the base loaded vertical on the patio and maybe someone could hear me on 40 meters. It is great to see you are out there in the NW! Along with Tomas here in the NW also, you would think we could work each other on 40? Anyway I am usually in the shack and could try a sked most anytime. 73's from Spokane!
Mike AB7RU

Bo W4GHV

1 watt or 10 watts? At this solar MINIMUM it's a no brainer.
Hang around to July 2025 and enjoy the big surprise with very low power.
WSPR & FT8 do well now tho.
Bo W4GHV