Topics

Nice Signal during meeting Tomas

Lee McDaniel

See picture below as I was copying you and K0NEB Solid here in Atlanta.

Lee WB4QOJ

Robert Allbright

Nice
73
Rob
G3RCE

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020, 2:10 AM Lee McDaniel <wb4qoj@...> wrote:
See picture below as I was copying you and K0NEB Solid here in Atlanta.

Lee WB4QOJ

Bo W4GHV

Enjoyed it.
Interesting observation. When we shifted from narrow to wide the waterfall changed from strong red signals to a VERY faint trace which was still solid copy here in NC.

I think it was my first Olivia contact. But I'm 80 so who knowsūü§Ē
My iPhone died midstream, hence the confusion during the contact as I tried to get it fixed.

Tomas is an unusual dude. Maintained a nice web site since he & Al Gore invented the internet.

He'd make a great teacher down here in the South.
Nice and SLOW and thorough enough to help the slow here, IF he can keep them awake! (I actually got away with using a water squirt bottle.)

Enjoyed it.
Lee, I switched to your DX cluster. It better help me on DXCC.

What's up next?
73, Bo W4GHV since '54
https://www.qrz.com/db/W4GHV

lee mcdaniel

Hey Bo,

     Saw you last night solid also. Really enjoy conversational digital modes like Olivia, MFSK16 and for really weak signal JS7Call is the greatest.

     Yes enjoy the DX Cluster lots of spots. Also are going to try the VHF Contest with Digital this weekend. I hope to be on 6 meters JS8Call and 2 meters the same.

     73 Lee wb4qoj
wb4qoj.webstarts.com

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 12:15 PM, Bo W4GHV
<bobarr@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the screenshot capture of the transmission.  Seems that the 40-Meter choice is a good one for that time of day.

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

+ https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
+ Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Bo:

Glad you were part of our experiment/demonstration.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 11:12 AM Bo W4GHV <bobarr@...> wrote:

Interesting observation. When we shifted from narrow to wide the waterfall changed from strong red signals to a VERY faint trace which was still solid copy here in NC

Yes, the wider you go, the more the signal's power is distributed over the bandwidth, decreasing the signal's efficiency (which we see as a slight decrease in power in a smaller slice of frequency spectrum).  That's why we want to use the 8/250 configuration for the calling frequencies, but then change to something like 8/500 for chatting, when conditions are good enough to sustain the 8/500 signals.

He'd make a great teacher down here in the South.
Nice and SLOW and thorough enough to help the slow here, IF he can keep them awake!

I hope that I did not lose anyone due to being boring enough to cause sleep!!  :)

What's up next?

Good question!

73

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

+ https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
+ Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Lee:

while JS8Call is interesting and perhaps better than Olivia in terms of S/N capabilities, it is not the subject of this email group/reflector.  For the sake of community, we need to stay focused on the Olivia side of things, and allow the JS8Call subject to exist on its own email reflector.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 11:32 AM lee mcdaniel via groups.io <gadigital=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
... and for really weak signal JS7Call is the greatest.

Thanks!

See you in the waterfall...

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

+ https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
+ Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Doug/KB8DNQ

Sorry I missed it Wednesday
We had  thunder storms, and one of our grandsons was over.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020, 4:05 PM Tomas, NW7US <nw7us.heliophile@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi, Doug.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 3:11 PM Doug/KB8DNQ <kb8dnq@...> wrote:
Sorry I missed it Wednesday
We had  thunder storms, and one of our grandsons was over.

Are you saying that the grandsons caused the thunder??  I can see that.

73 de NW7US dit dit