Topics

sticky New CALLING Frequencies - Proposed - Please Comment #OliviaChannels

PROPOSED NEW CALLING FREQUENCIES FOR OLIVIA

The following is proposed, and I will publish next weekend.

Please comment.

* start *

OUR CURRENT (2020 - MAY) SUGGESTED OLIVIA CALLING AND LISTENING FREQUENCIES

These are suggested frequencies on which can be found WEAK (i.e., a signal that you cannot hear, a signal not seen on the waterfall) Olivia signals.  While it is easy to spot a STRONG Olivia signal anywhere on the waterfall, by using these suggested calling frequencies at least once and a while, you will enable us to find your signal when the signal is too weak to hear and too faint to see on the waterfall.  Olivia can do well with weak signals.  Yes, our suggested 8 tone with 250 Hz bandwidth results in slow transmissions.  But, it is one of the better settings when attempting to decode very weak signals.  Once you make contact, you can move up or down a bit, away from the calling frequency, and then change to 16/500 to make the conversation go faster.  But, on a calling frequency, it is advisable to configure operations in such a way as to increase the likelihood that you will find and decode that weak signal.

In the following list, CENTER is where you place the center of the software's cursor, and click to select that center frequency on the waterfall. If you use the DIAL frequency from this list, then click 1500 Hz offset up the waterfall (1500 Hz to the RIGHT of the LEFT side of the waterfall, if your waterfall is oriented horizontally with the lowest frequency on the left). This results in the software and transceiver being correctly tuned for the CENTER frequency.

The listing shows CENTER, then DIAL, then the number of tones and the bandwidth.

CENTER       DIAL        Tones/Bandwidth (Notes)
 1.8390 MHz   1.8375 MHz  8/250 (ITU Region 1, etc.; Primary International)
 1.8270 MHz   1.8255 MHz  8/250 (ITU Region 2; Secondary)
 3.5830 MHz   3.5815 MHz  8/250
 7.0400 MHz   7.0385 MHz  8/250 (ITU Region 2, etc., Primary International)
 7.0730 MHz   7.0715 MHz  8/250 (Secondary)
10.1430 MHz  10.1415 MHz  8/250,
10.1440 MHz  10.1425 MHz 16/1000 (Potential - be mindful of other stations)
14.0730 MHz  14.0715 MHz  8/250
14.1075 MHz  14.1060 MHz 32/1000
18.1030 MHz  18.1015 MHz  8/250
21.0730 MHz  21.0715 MHz  8/250
24.9230 MHz  24.9215 MHz  8/250
28.1230 MHz  28.1215 MHz  8/250

REMEMBER THAT IF YOU USE THE DIAL FREQUENCY (THE SECOND FREQUENCY PER ROW), SET YOUR WATERFALL CENTER AT 1500 Hz)

Join us on Facebook at https://www.Facebook.com/groups/olivia.hf
Join us on Groups.io via http://OliviaDigitalMode.net

ALSO:  If your software is able to decode/encode the Reed-Solomon Identification signals (RSID), please turn on both received and transmit RSID.  An example is shown in the following video, which demonstrates enabling RSID in a popular software suite:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBIacwD9nNM

Please share this everywhere possible, as part of our effort to rekindle the love for our conversational mode, Olivia.

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

I received a comment on the Facebook group, from Grant Willis (VK5GR, Australia):

-quote-

Grant Willis Tomas your 160m frequencies seem very out of step with both activity and the global band plans.

Digital in Region 2/3 primary is 1800-1810. The one common digital segment globally on 160m is 1838-1843 and that was established by the WSJT community. It almost makes more sense to start using the 1800-1810 segment and claim Olivia for dial 1808 (1809.5 TX) with a secondary channel at 1838.25 (dial 1836.75) given that you do find JT65 still using 1838kHz and more recently FT8 fox and hound using 1836kHz. 1827 - in the middle of the CW segment - you wont be thanked for that.....

80m - Im surprised you moved away from 3572.5? Does this mean FT8 F/H mode can use 3570 without annoying anyone else after all (and hence move above 3567 which was used to avoid the PSK/Weak digital 3570-3573 segment but which annoyed the CW folks)?

40m - that band is a mess anyway but 7040 will clash directly with RTTY and the JA domestic FT8 channel (a product of their band plan and regulations).7046.5 (dial 7045) sitting just below FT4 on 7047.5 makes perhaps more sense and is away from the RTTY, WSPR and other activity that occurs lower in the very crowded and QRMed segment of the 7MHz band.

30m - ok but expect some FT8 F/H QRM when there are multiple expeditions about.

Some food for thought perhaps...

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

GeoVE3GZB

If these frequencies are specifically for weak signal mode, what should be an appropriate power limit during transmission?

Typically for Olivia I’ve never needed to push more than 30 watts even for TransAtlantic QSOs.

73s

Olivia is not a weak-signal mode (like JT65, JT9, FT8, etc.).  Like any time, any mode, you use as much as is needed to accomplish communications.  If I am receiving only 50% of the other station's sent data (i.e., I only get half of the print as something I can understand), I ask the other station to increase power if at all possible.  The other thing to consider is that some rigs have a duty-cycle limit.  Mine does not. I can run mine 100% power, for any length of time for typical Olivia transmissions, if necessary.  Some rigs can only handle 40% full duty-cycle.  In any case, if a frequency on this proposed list is considered a weak-signal frequency, traditionally, then we should consider a different calling frequency in that case.

Thanks,

Tomas

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 5:42 PM GeoVE3GZB <guslikokle@...> wrote:
If these frequencies are specifically for weak signal mode, what should be an appropriate power limit during transmission?

Typically for Olivia I’ve never needed to push more than 30 watts even for TransAtlantic QSOs.

73s

--
Thank you,
Tomas David Hood - NW7US

“For me, great algorithms are the poetry of computation. Just like verse, they can be terse, allusive, dense, and even mysterious. But once unlocked, they cast a brilliant new light on some aspect of computing. ” — Francis Sullivan

“An algorithm must be seen to be believed.” — Donald Knuth

Twitter:   https://Twitter.com/NW7US (@NW7US)
Google+    http://nw7us.us/+

The information contained in this communication is confidential, proprietary, and intended for the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication or unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and DO NOT ACT UPON, FORWARD, COPY, OR OTHERWISE DISSEMINATE IT OR ITS CONTENT

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Bry Carling AF4K

Oh nick it off!!!

Best regards - Bry Carling, AF4K

Begin forwarded message:

From: GeoVE3GZB <guslikokle@...>
Date: May 3, 2020 at 6:43:00 PM EDT
To: "Olivia@groups.io" <Olivia@groups.io>
Subject: Re:  [Olivia] New CALLING Frequencies - Proposed - Please Comment #OliviaChannels

If these frequencies are specifically for weak signal mode, what should be an appropriate power limit during transmission?

Typically for Olivia I’ve never needed to push more than 30 watts even for TransAtlantic QSOs.

73s

G8JCF

Hi Tomas

In the UK, 160m starts from 1810 KHz, so putting digital into 1800-1810 wouldn't work for us unfortunately, Digital in UK 1838 1843 as Grant states above.

Also, here in the UK, I find that most 16/500 activity is around 3583, ie as per your suggestion in the proposed table.

73

Peter - GM8JCF

Bryan Page

Whilst I understand specific frequencies allocated for certain modes,
isn't it counterproductive changing frequencies because Olivia is getting
stamped on by other modes, surely this would happen if a frequency change
was made, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I'm not a regular user of Olivia but the QSO's I've had (only 2, wish
there was more but hard to find) are great, they're conversational rather
than collecting 'numbers' on a piece of paper with the winner being the
one with most 'numbers'.

Just thought I'd say something.#

Stay safe, stay healthy and above all stay sane.

73 Bryan M0IHY

In message <26641.1589207393747051835@groups.io>
"G8JCF" <g8jcfsdr@...> wrote:

Hi Tomas
In the UK, 160m starts from 1810 KHz, so putting digital into 1800-1810
wouldn't work for us unfortunately, Digital in UK 1838 1843 as Grant
states above.
Also, here in the UK, I find that most 16/500 activity is around 3583, ie
as per your suggestion in the proposed table.
73
Peter - GM8JCF
--
Bryan

Raul M0ZZM

I echo Peter's assessment. There is already occasional Olivia traffic on 1839.5 (dial 1838), I had a couple of international QSOs on or around that calling slot.

Raul M0ZZM

On Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:29 G8JCF, <g8jcfsdr@...> wrote:
Hi Tomas

In the UK, 160m starts from 1810 KHz, so putting digital into 1800-1810 wouldn't work for us unfortunately, Digital in UK 1838 1843 as Grant states above.

Also, here in the UK, I find that most 16/500 activity is around 3583, ie as per your suggestion in the proposed table.

73

Peter - GM8JCF

Gary E. Kohtala <gary.k7ek@...>

I think trying to nail down a specific freq or freqs on each band for Olivia is always going to be problematic. Why? Mainly because nobody owns any specific frequency. The norm is to find a hole in between stations and conduct a contact there. Why don't we specify a range of frequencies instead of a single frequency? For example, 14.070.5 - 14071.8 USB dial. If everyone has RSID turned on this should be a no brainer. PSK31, FT8, FT4, and other digital modes occupy a slot, not a single frequency. Why can't Olivia do that? Following the universal rule that if a frequency is not in use, it's up for grabs by anyone, can be very beneficial. Listen and call in agreed upon slivers of frequencies on each band while avoiding communications in progress. All amateurs should be operating that way. It's the law. Just a thought. I think Olivia is going to lose this battle unless we rethink our concept of operation.

Something else for thought: On 40m, 20m, 15m, 10m, etc, why should Olivia stay in the same sub band with all of the other stuff that's fighting for control? On some bands we should be able to go higher and still legally operate our mode, say above 7100, 14100, 21100, etc, which is not in the frying pan. After all RTTY'ers, FT4'ers, etc, do it almost every weekend. They find a freq that is supposedly unoccupied and then go for it. That's the way it should be for all modes if we are to stay within the law. Food for thought.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Radcliff, KY (EM77at)

--
Bryan

Robert Allbright

If only RSID worked ?
How many have it turned on?
I hear so many signals that could be anything?
But get no RSID help?
I use both FLDGI and HRD with RSID on.
73
Rob G3RCE

--
Bryan

John KC4LZN

RsID is great when those transmitting are using TxID. We can listen all we want to a signal using RsID, standing by waiting for that notification to pop up but if the transmitting station isn't implementing TxiD at the beginning of their transmission, we will never get the notification as to what mode they're in. Most only use TxiD when they first call CQ.

Hear hear on Gary's comment. Utilize a segment, not a specific frequency. If they are using TxID and you have RsID on, it should be a no brainer.

My $.02.

73
John

--
Bryan

Just to clarify why we are trying to "nail down a specific frequency on each band for Olivia," it is NOT about establishing the ONLY place on each band on which we operate our favorite QSO digital mode, Olivia MFSK.  It is about establishing CALLING frequencies for weak-signal reception.

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 8:54 PM Gary E. Kohtala via groups.io <gary.k7ek=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

To have an established spot on which to listen (or rather, have the mode listen, as it may not be something you can hear or see), known as a calling frequency, is to allow us to find each other when conditions are marginal.  It has helped me make QSOs when I would not have found the other station any other way.

Once you establish a solid QSO, you both move off the calling frequency.  This has been the established way for working calling frequencies for decades.  It works on 6 meters, for instance.

Something else for thought: On 40m, 20m, 15m, 10m, etc, why should Olivia stay in the same sub band with all of the other stuff that's fighting for control? On some bands we should be able to go higher and still legally operate our mode, say above 7100, 14100, 21100, etc, which is not in the frying pan. After all RTTY'ers, FT4'ers, etc, do it almost every weekend. They find a freq that is supposedly unoccupied and then go for it. That's the way it should be for all modes if we are to stay within the law. Food for thought.

On 20 meters, we do operate above 14.100, in addition to below.  No one is stating that we are restricting anything.  We are trying to establish calling frequencies.

Best regards,

Tomas / NW7US

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Gary E. Kohtala <gary.k7ek@...>

Tom -

You sound defensive, which I find quite curious. My suggestions were just that, suggestions, submitted in good faith. I disagree with some of your philosophy and simply put forth possible alternatives in a constructive manner. I am sorry that you took it the wrong way. It's too bad that some choose to attack that with which they disagree instead of hearing out the suggestions. There's always more ways to approach a problem. Let us not be shortsighted. Good luck in your quest, wherever it may lead. You are driving this ship. Do it your way. I hope you don't run aground on the hidden shoals.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Radcliff, KY (EM77at)

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 10:38:09 AM EDT, Tomas, NW7US <nw7us.heliophile@...> wrote:

[...]

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Hi,

I could not agree more with Gary's suggestion that we move out of the official digital sub-bands. Everybody seems to be fighting for space there.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Gary,

I apologize that my written word came across as having any tone other than clarification.  I am not defensive, only informative.  I am attempting to promote Olivia for the sake of a wider community, but have no ownership.

In the decades prior to WSJT and now especially the FT* modes, there were gentlemen's agreements on where modes would have their watering holes.  And, in that, some modes had calling frequencies.  When Joe and his crew decided that modes like Olivia were so little used that the new modes could just set down without any public discussion, the first reaction by users of Olivia and other modes was to push back.  But, that was an effort in futility.  Then was born the idea of moving down a bit.  There's no easy answer.  But, the concept of calling frequencies still seems valid among some operators who hope to catch others using these modes.

I am just clarifying those points.

Be well.  Hope to meet you sometime on CW, my most favorite mode.

73 de NW7US dit dit

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 11:00 AM Gary E. Kohtala via groups.io <gary.k7ek=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Hi, Guy.

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 12:02 PM Guy G4DWV 4X1LT <guy@...> wrote:

I could not agree more with Gary's suggestion that we move out of the official digital sub-bands. Everybody seems to be fighting for space there.

Are you suggesting moving into the voice subbands?

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

G8JCF

Hi

For 80m 3581.5 KHz Dial is a terrible idea for Europe. There is a wideband signal 24Hrs per day on 3580 KHz, use http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ and tune to 3580 KHz to hear and see what this signal looks like. When I work Oliviia on 80m I have always made contacts using 3583 Dial, 1500 Offset, the 3581.5KHz Dial is totally unusable.

Also, at least for me, again in UK and listening via http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ on 40m, 7071.5 seems to be much clearer than 7041.5

Hope these observations help

73

Peter - GM8JCF

Richard Katsch

Hi,
Response to spreadsheet file of frequencies posted.

Any reason for moving the ..14s to ...15s?
A dial of 7.0385 puts you very close to the common WSPR frequency of 7.0386.
Sorry if this has all been discussed and thrashed out.

--
Regards
Richard Katsch